Thursday, October 25, 2007

Baseball, football, and God!

I don't watch baseball games. The game seems to me like a throwback to another time, moving rather slowly, with long stretches of not much happening, punctuated with frantic flurries of men dashing along baselines. I probably just typed heresy for those of you who love the game. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hostile to the game. In fact, I'm glad that many enjoy it. I enjoy hearing them talk about the actions of men on a field pre-occupied with a small white sphere, but I never know exactly what to say to an avid fan. The insiders lingo is foreign to me. The strategy is beyond me. I used to take my kids to a AA Mets club in Pittsfield, MA but not really for the game! It was the experience of their joy that made it a great outing for me. And, despite my lack of interest in the sport, I am aware that it World Series week, with the Boston Red Sox and the Colorado Rockies in pursuit of the championship. So, for my friend Terry's sake I say, "Go Boston!"

I wonder how many people feel the same way about 'faith' that I feel about baseball? They're glad you enjoy it, even enjoy your enthusiasm for it, but don't really 'get it' at all. To them, church services seem a little slow, often even old-fashioned. The language of the faithful is sometimes hard to understand and there are 'insider' routines that are downright mysterious. They attend church occasionally with family members and appreciate the joy of those who participate, even if they don't know exactly what's going on. And, come Christmas or Easter, they're aware of the general flow of things, much like my general awareness of the Series, and they say, "Go Jesus!" - not irreverently, but because it is the thing to do.

At one time, the American sport of football also was something of a mystery to me, too. What was so interesting about 22 men running around and falling down on an oblong object, then getting up, forming a line and doing it all over again? Then my friend, Jerry Jacob, invited me to the local high school's football games where he patiently taught me to really see what was happening. He showed me how to see plays being set up, how to read the defense, what the offense was doing. Now I understand a zone defense and man to man coverage! I can spot a passing play being set up. What was incomprehensible has become a game I truly enjoy watching because someone was willing to 'convert' me into a football fan and to be my teacher. "Go New England Patriots!"

Believer, Jesus taught us to be intentional about making His Gospel known, about introducing others to Him. He said, "Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."" (Matthew 28:19-20, The Message) When Jerry Jacob taught me about football, he had to step out of his comfort zone and put himself in my place. He probably wanted to just enjoy the games, but instead he patiently instructed me as he interpreted the game for me. When we are introducing others to Christ and the practices of our faith, we need that kind of patience and ability to bridge the gap!

Jerry's obvious enthusiasm for Warren Hills football made me curious! I wanted to experience that same fun that he had so I tagged along to games. In much the same way, if obviously love the Lord and demonstrate that He makes a real difference in the quality of life for us, others will want to know what's up with us, too.

Are you doing 'outreach' for Christ?
Are you intentional about helping others understand your faith?

"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise." (Proverbs 11:30, NIV)

_______________________________

Out in the highways and byways of life,
Many are weary and sad.
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,
Making the sorrowing glad.

Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing,
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love;
Tell of His pow'r to forgive.
Others will trust Him if only you prove true
Every moment you live.

Give as 'twas given to you in your need;
Love as the Master loved you.
Be to the helpless a helper indeed;
Unto your mission be true.

Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing,
Out of my life may Jesus shine;
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

Make Me a Blessing
© 1924. Renewed 1952 Word Music, Inc.
(a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: