Wednesday, October 10, 2007

All you need!

Something in me just snapped yesterday, mid-afternoon. Remember Peter's stroll on the Sea of Galilee, which started well, but ended when he started to sink and croaked a frightened - "Lord, save me?" That was my state of mind! I looked the responsibilities facing me - a sermon needed to be written for today's funeral, a visit with a sad and very sick lady in critical care, phone calls to make, and the people needs of the congregation- the regular stuff of my life as a Pastor- and started to think "I can't do this anymore." I told the Lord - "Maybe You should get somebody who is better equipped, with a personality more suited to do this ministry." Thankfully, I was all alone in my car for my little pity party. I felt the Lord's rebuke almost as soon as I said the words out loud. This passage came powerfully to mind, not the kind of thing just recalled, but clearly a Holy Spirit inspired occurrence- "...the Lord’s servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will." (2 Timothy 2:24-26, NIV)

Then, He continued to correct me speaking to my heart - "Why are you afraid, Jerry? Your sense of failure is rooted in fear." And, then, He fell silent and left me with my thoughts.

When I got home, I picked up my laptop to check my email, and there was this amazingly on point, encouraging email from a person I haven't seen in a very long time who had no way of knowing my state of mind. It reminded me "that Jesus is your Shepherd, your Faithful Friend, your Wonderful Counselor, your Dependable Teacher.... In all things may the Lord remind you who you are and who He is." Yes, you know it. I was at first stunned, then humbled, then I asked for forgiveness!

Fear causes us to do strange, sometimes sinful, things. It made me despise the precious calling of God, for a time yesterday. I saw the task, knew my limitations - failed to account for His resources - and became a coward. I hope you have never done that. It is not a good thing and never leads to good places. But, He is faithful, even when we are faithless. God did not abandon me in my moment of self-doubt. He did challenge me with the Truth, and He loved me - through a faithful saint - with a message of His gracious gifts. Let Him do the same for you today, before you're ready to quit, to sin, to accuse Him, or to turn your back on Him.

Leighton Ford, the well-known preacher and associate of Billy Graham, suggests that when we grow fearful, we should ask ourselves some pointed questions about that fear. The exercise helps us to get back to solid ground of faith, from the sinking sand of fear. Here they are:

1. Does this fear come basically from pride, a fear that I will not live up to my own expectations or to those of others?
2. Do I remember that God has called me first to faithfulness, then to efficiency?
3. Do I trust that the Holy Spirit is working before me, with me, and through me?
4. Do I remember that I am called to be neither more nor less successful than Jesus Christ was?
5. Do I remember that God does his greatest work when I seem to be weakest? Isn’t that, after all, the mystery of the cross? -Good News is for Sharing

Whatever challenges you're facing today, God is present. He will provide all that you need, if not all that you think you need. Trust Him. Wait for Him.

Here's a word from the Word. Let the living Word fill your mind with His Presence as you meditate on the promise.
"God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. As it is written: "He has dispersed abroad, He has given to the poor; His righteousness endures forever." Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness, while you are enriched in everything for all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God. For the administration of this service not only supplies the needs of the saints, but also is abounding through many thanksgivings to God." (2 Corinthians 9:8-12, NKJV)
________________________

Sometimes I feel discouraged,
And think my life in vain.
I'm tempted then to murmur,
And of my lot complain.
But when I think of Jesus,
And all He's done for me,
Then I cry, "O Rock of Ages,Hide Thou me."

O Rock of Ages, hide Thou me.
No other refuge have I but Thee.
When life's dark vale I wander,
Far, far from Thee.
Then I cry,"O Rock of Ages,Hide Thou me."

Sometimes it seems I dare not,
Go one step farther on.
And from my heart all courage
Has slipped away and gone.
But I remember Jesus,
And all His love for me.
Then I cry,"O Rock of AgesHide Thou me."

Hide Thou MeHarris, Thoro / Tolbert, L.R.© 1926.
Renewed 1953 Singspiration Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Coolsprings Blvd., Franklin TN 37067)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: