Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remember!

Six years ago this morning, at the same hour that I am writing these words, thousands of people were headed to catch planes, off to work, just another ordinary - albeit beautiful - day! At the same hour, 19 young men, full of hatred and mis-directed religious zeal were intentionally walking towards their own deaths. My son's panicky voice in the phone call that alerted me to the unfolding tragic series of events is still echoing in my mind. The rest of that day was full of a jumble of emotion - disbelief, confusion, fear - among them. As evening fell, I led a spontaneous prayer gathering at the church where people gathered to ask God for His help in the face of a then still unknown threat. I remember too, the incredible change in America's personality that followed 9/11. Neighbors hugged in the street. People slowed down and talked with total strangers. Our national government was unified - for a brief moment. In that window of time, I caught a glimpse of better America, a spiritual America.


Then, we quickly forgot 9/11, found a way to explain it, buried the loss and sorrow under the blanket of distractions, and returned to business as usual. Our political scene became even more rancorous than ever. Greed quickly resurfaced. We went back to staring at our TV screens, absorbed with mindless sitcoms that rot our brains and pollute our hearts. War plans were laid, almost as a reflex; as if the only way to address hatred was with killing! Often I wonder what the world might look like today if , in response to 9/11, we had dispatched an 'army' of teachers, doctors, and builders to the poor nations of the earth instead of spending our national fortune on bombs and bullets. Can hatred ever be defeated with violence, even with so-called 'just war'? Is peace possible? God was returned to the back shelf of our minds to which He had been relegated since the close of the Second World War, when America became rich and proud.


Today, please take some time to remember! Don't just think about the thousands who perished with the obligatory moment of silence. Go deeper. Really remember- the sorrow, the terror, the confusion, the questions. Remember the need for the Lord that you felt that day. Remember your willingness to forget the love of money, the way that you abandoned the pursuit of pleasure, and hunger you had for connectedness with friends and family. Remember and be silent - be prayerful - and let the Spirit of God do the work of real change. As I hear the rain falling outside of my window this morning, it seems like God is weeping over us, for our foolishness. Six years ago, He reached out to us, but in the end, we spurned His love, to chase life's ephemeral treasures of this present world. This morning, all I can do is cry!


Jesus says - "I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see. I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.

"Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. Those who are victorious will sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne."
(Revelation 3:14-21, NLT)

No comments: