Friday, September 14, 2007

Hungry?

In our land of plenty, hunger is not all that common. Food is relatively inexpensive and abundant, so much so that we are becoming a fat nation, confronted with myriad health problems- many, if not most, rooted in eating too much of the wrong kinds of food! Cheap, fat-filled, sugary, and calorie-laden foods fill our stomachs but do not satisfy our hunger, causing us to eat more, much more than we need to consume. French fries appeal to our simple tastes, but do not provide nourishment. Despite being 'full' we still 'feel' hungry. The situation is much the same when we consider the hunger of our soul. We are created with a longing for God. We hunger for meaning, purpose, and hope but often attempt to satisfy that hunger with 'junk' food. Americans pursue endless pleasure, seek distraction in entertainment, buy things to gain status or to become more attractive, and worship sex! Our lives are full, yet our souls are starved.

The Lord invites those who hunger to a feast! "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live." (Isaiah 55:1-3, NIV) Jesus says the same, but simply- "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." (Matthew 5:6, NIV)

We develop appreciation for foods with complex textures and tastes. When I was a kid, I hated salads. If you offered me a plate of leafy greens including baby spinach, arugula, and various lettuces, garnished with nuts or seeds, and brushed with a balsamic dressing, I would have pushed it aside as inedible. No more! I love the mixed flavors of a well-made salad, complementing a nicely grilled piece of chicken! I'm still working on the sushi thing! My point is that today, I eat in a way that is much more healthy than I did two decades ago, because I was willing to venture beyond cheeseburgers and macaroni and train my palate to appreciate more complex kinds of food. Our soul hunger will be satisfied by worship, with the Word, and with true spiritual service - but we must learn to 'eat' the things of God.

Let's be honest - given the choice between an exciting football game or a two-hour church service - most people would choose the football game. Why? Sad to say, sometimes church is just bad and boring! But assuming that there is a commitment to creating a quality worship experience that honors God, even then many choose football. Again, I ask, why? Because it is harder to appreciate the satisfaction of the hunger of our soul that can be found in listening to God, in opening our heart and mind to His Presence, and in pursuing Him. It is much easier to get our kicks, to be emotionally stimulated, by the hype and fun of the game! I am not suggesting that a football game is bad! But man cannot live on football alone!

How are you satisfying your soul's hunger? Are you stuffing yourself, spending your resources on one thing after another, only to find that the hunger persists?

Turn to God! Receive Christ, and pursue His ways. Let the Holy Spirit give you an appetite for the Word and for worship (which by the way does not just happen in church buildings) so that you will eat and be satisfied.

Here's a word from the Word. Ponder it today and be instructed by the wisdom of God.
"O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory. Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you! I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy." (Psalm 63:1-5, NLT)
_____________________

Hungry, I come to You
For I know You satisfy.

I am empty,
But I know Your love
Does not run dry.
And so I wait for You,
So I wait for You.

I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me.
Jesus, You're all
This heart is living for.

Hungry
Kathryn Scott
© 1999 Vineyard Songs (UK/Eire) (Admin. by Mercy / Vineyard Publishing)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: