Tuesday, August 14, 2007

He will wipe away every tear

Yesterday, at the end of a tour of the battlefields at Gettysburg, PA, where the bloodiest battles of the Civil War were fought in 1863, I found myself with tears in my eyes, thinking not of the strategies of generals that won a victory, but of the sorrow of widows and children whose husbands and fathers never came home. There, on those beautiful ridges, thousands of men died and many thousands more were wounded as demons danced and angels mourned. What causes men to feel the need to settle disputes with bloodshed? Why is it that humans cover such horror with glory? Some may waves flags and celebrate victories won with guns, but I can think only of the suffering and weep.

On Saturday evening, as we sat down to dinner in a restaurant, we could not help overhearing the man at the next table cruelly berating his wife and little daughter, using his 'power' to oppress. His words were cutting, harsh, and angry- a constant barrage of belittling remarks. The wife, a pretty woman, showed the pain of her soul in the slump of her shoulders and downcast eyes. Her demeanor suggested that she was accustomed to receiving verbal violence from this stupid man who seemed to think it was his God-given right to mistreat her. Bev and I hurriedly finished our dinner and fled before I felt compelled to say something! Why do people visit such pain on others?

Friday evening, walking back to our hotel from a service of spectacular worship, we saw a man sitting on the sidewalk, leaning against a lamppost, holding out a little cup. "Just your pocket change, please?" he quietly asked as we passed. I turned and looked at at him, and my heart was touched, so I knelt down and took his hands in mine. He would not look at me, such was his shame. I asked his name, and learned he was called Billy. Then, I asked if I could pray for him. His grip tightened and he asked if I would pray that God would give him a home. In that moment, he became a human being, not a beggar on the street; somebody's son, and I ached for him. I walked away feeling so inadequate and wondered why in a nation with so much wealth Billy couldn't afford a place to sleep that night.

I am quite sure that if we talked today, you could tell me stories of sorrow, too.
Perhaps it is your own - or maybe it is that of those with whom you walk in this world.

"Jerry, why emphasize the sorrow? Why not look on the bright side?" Yes, there is joy to be found. Bev and I had many a joyful moment while we traveled this past week. We met old friends and our hearts were made glad by being with those we love. We experienced wonderful times of worship with thousands of God's people. We are unbelievably blessed! But, we live in a world full of sorrows. In my blessings, I cannot ignore those who suffer. I cannot, despite my overflowing cup of privilege, pretend that all is well. I am commissioned as an agent of the Savior, sent with a message hope and healing to those who are captives of the Evil One. His work is my work. Like Him, I want to let my heart be broken by the human need that is real.

Some may think that this mission of compassion is a fool's errand, that the tide of human suffering is irresistible. But I know the One who has overcome the world! I have read the end of the Book, and I know that in the end He will vanquish evil, wipe away the tears, and invite us into the Kingdom of Light and Love. I want to be about the work of building that Kingdom now even as I wait to see it arrive in the fullness promised in the Word.

Join me, friend, won't you? Let's look evil straight in the eye, engage ourselves with those who suffer, and do the work of Jesus while there is opportunity. All the while, we can be sustained by this wonderful promise.
". . . they stand in front of God’s throne and serve him day and night in his Temple. And he who sits on the throne will give them shelter. They will never again be hungry or thirsty; they will never be scorched by the heat of the sun. For the Lamb on the throne will be their Shepherd. He will lead them to springs of life-giving water. And God will wipe every tear from their eyes." (Revelation 7:15-17, NLT)
____________________

Jesus! What a friend for sinners!
Jesus lover of my soul!
Friends may fail me, foes assail me;
He, my Savior, makes me whole.

Hallelujah what a Savior.
Hallelujah what a Friend.
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.

Jesus! What a strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him;
Tempted tried and sometimes failing,
He, my strength my victory wins.

Jesus! What a help in sorrow!
While the billows o'er me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort helps my soul.

Hallelujah what a Savior.
Hallelujah what a Friend.
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.

Our Great Savior- J. Wilbur Chapman © Public Domain

No comments: