Thursday, August 16, 2007

God and Gold

The financial picture on Wall St. is turning darker by the day, so it seems. In the last month, the Dow indicator is down by just over 8%- from an all time high of 14,000 in July. Is this just a 'correction,' or are we in for a tough time in the American economy? Nobody knows! The 'experts' are divided with some insisting that the dip in values is a normal fluctuation while others are pointing to big problems in the mortgage and real estate parts of our economy that they say will drag the rest of the economy into a recession. Do I worry about the up's and down's on Wall St.? No. Do I pay attention? Yes! It is one way that as a Follower of Jesus I am - 'in the world, but not of the world.'

Maintaining the proper balance between providing for my family and future through sound fiscal management and,
ultimately keeping my trust set squarely in the promises of God is not as easy as it might seem.

Some decisions are simple.
I tithe (give the first 10% of my income to the church) regardless of the state of the economy. I believe that the first 10% belongs to the Lord and is not mine to spend on even those things that are 'necessities.'
I am careful about creating debt in keeping with the Scriptural guideline that tells me not to count on tomorrow's income to fund today's desires. Who knows what may happen tomorrow? The only exceptions to that are for things that have enough enduring value to cover the debt created to own them - such as a mortgage.
I buy reasonable amounts of insurance, realizing that this is a prudent way to avoid financial ruin in the event of sickness or accident.

In a decision that is not as simple, I set aside a percentage of my income in savings, anticipating the day when I am, by reason of age or ill health, unable to produce the same level of income I have today. I also live on a budget, refusing to spend more than I make, saying "No," to desires that tempt me when easy credit offers would make it possible to enjoy some consumer good by pushing off payment into the unknown future. Some believe that budgets and savings shows a 'lack of faith.' They insist - "God will provide!" I agree with that whole-heartedly and to this time of my life I can say that He has met my every need - in times of plenty and in leaner days, always providing for my daily bread and shelter. He also has given me insight, wisdom, and responsibility for the choices I make.

However, I know that despite my best efforts to prepare and to be wise, the world in which I live is unpredictable. The weather, the government, and things unseen - are beyond my control!
So, my mind must choose to trust these faith-building words from the Lord Jesus: "Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things? "Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? "And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need." (Luke 12:24-31, NLT)

There are two lines that keep a Believer at peace when the economic storms threaten --
"He will certainly care for you," and,
"Seek the Kingdom above all else."

Believer, where is your greater security - in God, or in gold?
If all you owned were swept away in flood or fire, would you still be a rich man?
If your wealth diminished in a recession, would you still be a peaceful man?

Here's a word from the Word for your thoughts today --
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Luke 12:33-34, NIV)

No comments: