Monday, June 11, 2007

At peace in His Presence

Sometimes we find ourselves in the middle of situations we want to change, don't we? It can be hard to know if we should accept what is or work for change. Recently, I found myself in the middle of one of those dilemmas. I struggled, complained (inwardly), and tried to forget my inner conflict. The fight drew down my strength. Finally, in prayer, I handed it over to the Lord. "Lead me through this time. Keep my heart at peace even as You lead me to contentment with what You provide for me, and teach me what my part in change should be." I was praying a version of a prayer that ends most 12 step group meetings, commonly known as the Serenity Prayer. This prayer, authorship unknown, says,

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen.
"

The counsel of the Scripture teaches us to be content, while encouraging us to be activists! We are never to be fatalists, detaching ourselves from this painful world while just waiting for Divine Deliverance. Jesus gives us the Spirit and tells us to "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20, NIV)
What a commission! Our field is the world. Our work in not finished until every man and woman has heard the Good News about Jesus Christ. If I read them and reflect on my limited abilities, even factoring in my network of fellow Believers, the task is overwhelming - creating a unsettled heart in me. That is why Jesus concluded as He did reminding us that we are not in this alone! "I am with you!" His Presence in our lives is the KEY to serenity! Whatever the challenge, whatever our need - if we are 'in Christ,' we do not face it alone.

There is a short story that Mark tells us. Most likely his source was Peter who mentored Mark in the work of Christ. My imagination has the two of them sharing a meal when the older man leans back on his elbows, getting ready to tell a story that makes him laugh at his lack of faith at that time. "Let me tell about a time when I thought I was going to die. And then Jesus did the most amazing thing that left me shaking in my shoes!" Peter then told about this night on the lake.
"As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let’s cross to the other side of the lake." So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion.
The disciples woke him up, shouting, "Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?"
When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Silence! Be still!"
Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm.
Then he asked them, "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?"
The disciples were absolutely terrified. "Who is this man?" they asked each other. "Even the wind and waves obey him!"
(Mark 4:35-42, NLT)

Is there a storm brewing around you? Are you faced with a situation that makes you want to run for the hills? Are you unsure of your response to a challenge- to work harder, to wait it out, to stand back and see what develops, or to dig in and work for change?

God will guide you. But, His guidance is best known when we are at peace, even in the middle of the storm. When we are frantic with fear, thrashing about like a fly caught in a spider's web, our spiritual discernment becomes next to nil! Pray early, pray always, pray with faith! Keep Jesus in your boat. His Presence brings serenity; serenity makes us effective in accomplishing the work He has called us to do in His Name.
____________________________

"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!
The Lord of hosts (General of the Angel Armies) is with us;

The God of Jacob is our refuge."

(Psalm 46:10-11, NKJV)

No comments: