Thursday, April 05, 2007

He prays for me!

At the risk of sounding weak, I'll admit that I often find life exhausting! One task is completed only to have two more pop up on the to-do list. Some personal victory is celebrated but only for a moment until the next crisis starts to unfold. One of Job's friends wryly observed, "People are born for trouble as readily as sparks fly up from a fire." (Job 5:7, NLT) Now that is an interesting turn of phrase. No matter how smart you are, how well you think you have prepared for tomorrow, how faithfully you take your vitamins - from some unexpected corner, at some unexpected moment, difficulties and disappointments will find their way to your door.

Believer, here's the best news. We have a High Priest who is always praying for us! I love when somebody sends me note or gives me a call and says, "Just wanted you to know that I was praying for you today." There is no gift that compares to the sincere prayers offered on another's behalf. But to think that Jesus Christ is at the Father's right hand making a case for me, asking for mercy on my behalf, directing the Spirit to keep me on my feet when life is coming at me hard and fast- is amazing - and true! The Bible says, "He is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens." (Hebrews 7:25-26, NIV)

John's Gospel records the final hours of Jesus' earthly ministry in greater detail than the other Gospels. The 17th chapter is a record of the prayer that Jesus prayed on behalf of His disciples and for Believers to this day. It's a wonderful prayer that gives encouragement. It allows us to hear the heart of Jesus' prayers on our behalf. In part He says, "I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. They do not belong to this world any more than I do. Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth." (John 17:14-17, NLT)

What He does not pray is as important to note as what He does ask on our behalf. He does not ask God to make life easy or to provide a rocket ship out of this world! We pray that way sometimes, don't we? "God, let me outta here! Change this situation. Just let me have an easy time of it today." Yes, I pray that foolish, childish prayer sometimes. But Jesus prays that we will be preserved from spiritual destruction, that we will be full of the Spirit's life and distinct as the people of God in a dark world, and that we will understand God's word and will.

There are two things I want to leave with you today.

1st - He is praying for you! Never forget that. You are not alone, forgotten, or forsaken.

2nd - He asks the best for you, not the easy! Pray like He prays; not for release, but for courage; not for an easier place, but for His glory shine through you as remain faithful to Him in your present situation.

Remember this. Our High Priest understands our needs for He was tempted and tested in all the ways we are. When you're wrestling with life and the will of God, remember He did, too. As He prayed in Gethsemane, under terrible pressure and in great anguish, He pleaded for another way, but eventually came 'round to surrender, "Not my will, Father, but Yours, be done!" So He understands when you're pressured, squeezed, stressed, broken, disappointed, distraught, confused, or afraid! He is praying for you.
________________________________

Jesus! What a friend for sinners!
Jesus lover of my soul!
Friends may fail me, foes assail me;
He, my Savior, makes me whole.

Hallelujah what a Savior.
Hallelujah what a Friend.
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.

Our Great Savior - Chapmen, public domain

No comments: