Monday, April 23, 2007

God rules!

People greet me with that common question - "How are you?" I often reply, "Marvill-ious!" The silly, made up word catches them off guard and, after a couple of seconds of trying to figure out what I said, they smile. Even when I am inwardly struggling with some situation in life, I attempt to be 'up,' encouraging, and optimistic. By nature, I am a melancholy individual, and sometimes I excuse my negativity by labeling myself a 'realist.' But I know the value of choosing to be optimistic, of focusing on hope in every situation. Emotions are infectious and I want to 'infect' those around me with hope, with God's help.

Harold Myra writes; "Optimism is not living in a fantasy world where nothing tragic ever happens. Vital optimism is a confidence that tragedy is not the last word, that the best is yet to be. Optimism is being able to acknowledge brutal realities and to point to an even greater reality - that our experiences are not in vain, our responses are not futile, and our efforts are worthwhile. For Christians this kind of optimism is linked to an abiding trust that history is going somewhere and that God... is powerfully directing it."

Those of us who love and follow Christ have great reason to live with optimism. Yes, we live in a world where terrible things happen. I read the newspaper and watch the news, too. I work with people who, from time to time, deeply disappoint me. Sometimes I miss my goals, and I fail God and others. But disappointment, failure, - yes, even death - are not the last words for the Believer. God's amazing promise is that He is the Restorer of the broken, the Healer of the bruised, the Lifter of my head!

Romans 8 is a wonderful passage where Paul speaks of the glorious hope of the Believer. He says that sometimes we groan under the pressures of this present world, but that even then the Spirit shares the load, praying for us. He reminds us that God has called us to His purposes and that nothing can ultimately frustrate God's will! His conclusion is a resounding shout of hopeful faith, a reason for optimism that has no equal. Take a look. "None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us. I’m absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us." (Romans 8:37-39, The Message) Those who love Jesus can sing in the darkness, not because of bravado, but because of promise. They are not just 'trying to look on the bright side,' they actually know that behind the cloud, the Son shines!


The story is told of a man walking along the shore where starfish lay scattered, washed in by the tide. He was picking them up and tossing them back into the ocean, when someone questioned the rationality of his actions. "What do you hope to accomplish? There are so many, you could never throw them all back." His reply, as he prepared to toss another back into the sea was, "But, this one will live!" That is exactly the attitude we need to sustain our faith in the face of challenges that appear overwhelming. Sometimes we just need to trust God just for this day. We need to let the smallest achievement become a reason for celebration.

As you begin a new week, purpose to live optimistically, drawing on a deep reservoir of faith that is inspired by the promise of God and the Presence of the Holy Spirit. Grasp hold of the hope to which you were called in Christ Jesus. Lay claim to His promise that He is greater than anything in your life today. Choose to be 'marvillious!'
"Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever." (Psalm 23:6, NIV)
____________________

How firm a foundation,
Ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith
In His excellent word!
What more can He say
Than to you He hath said,
To you who for refuge
To Jesus have fled?

Fear not; I am with thee.
O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God,
I will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee,
And cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My gracious,
Omnipotent hand.

When through the deep waters
I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow
Shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee
Thy trials to bless,
And sanctify to thee
Thy deepest distress.

The soul that on Jesus
Hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not
Desert to its foes;
That soul, though all hell
Should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never,
No never forsake.

How Firm A Foundation-
Keith, George / Steele, Anne / Rippon John / Funk, Joseph© Public Domain

No comments: