Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Making God an Enemy

There are passages of Scripture that don't show up all that often in devotional literature and reading in public worship. We love read the verses that affirm the love of God and promise us His eternal care, as we should. Who does not love to hear, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His Son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish."? However, our understanding of the Almighty must not be limited to the 'nice' perspective. In a world full of evil, it is important to bring to mind that He is an awesome and terrible God and He will not be treated with contempt. In my readings in the minor prophets I came up one of those passages that made me shudder.

Nineveh was the royal city of the Assyrians, a cruel people who were extending their empire across the region. They had no regard for life. With their conquests, they grew wealthy and were the envy of many, but their status was bought with rivers of blood and unimaginable human suffering. Nahum, the Jewish prophet, prayed about the Assyrian threat and God spoke to him with this stunning word. I warn you - it is graphic! I am using The Message translation so you can get the impact of the prophet's revelation. "Doom to Murder City— full of lies, bursting with loot, addicted to violence!" (Nahum 3:1, The Message) “I’m your enemy, Whore Nineveh— I, God-of-the-Angel-Armies! I’ll strip you of your seductive silk robes and expose you on the world stage. I’ll let the nations get their fill of the ugly truth of who you really are and have been all along. I’ll pelt you with dog dung and place you on a pedestal: ‘Slut on Exhibit.’ Everyone who sees you will gag and say, ‘Nineveh’s a pigsty: What on earth did we ever see in her? Who would give her a second look? Ugh!’ ” (Nahum 3:5-7, The Message)

We need to read that and understand that God is still the same! Individuals and nations cannot ignore Him, treating His commands with contempt, and get away with it forever. Those who are arrogant in their sins will find themselves enemies of the Lord. Unless we are willing to accept that, the Cross of Christ makes little sense. If God overlooks sin, if He is a benign old chap unwilling or incapable bringing His Creation to justice, then why did Jesus die for our sins? "Don’t be misled. Remember that you can’t ignore God and get away with it. You will always reap what you sow! Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful desires will harvest the consequences of decay and death." (Galatians 6:7-8, NLT) That word is not directed at our human frailties and weaknesses. We need not live in terror that we have somehow offended the Almighty God of Heaven each moment. What we must know is that if we persist in disobedience, ignoring the Scripture and the Spirit's inner voice, God will allow us to taste the bitterness of our sin.

That God can be roused to anger and that He can be made our enemy both comforts and frightens me! I am comforted by the knowledge that evil men who exploit others for their own pleasure, that nations who oppress others, will face a day of justice. I am frightened because I realize that I am a sinner, too. But my fear of the Lord drives me to the foot of the Cross of Christ. There I kneel humbly and receive grace, "and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies (me) from all sin." (1 John 1:7, NIV) Amazing love, wonderful grace, that God would love a sinner like me and charge my sin to the account of His Son.

Don't live arrogantly, ignoring His repeated invitations to live close to Him.Instead, turn quickly when the Spirit speaks, saying, "Yes, Lord." Be a friend of God!

"You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you." (John 15:14-16, NKJV)

No comments: