Friday, February 23, 2007

Loving the Lord

Life can be so busy! Our agenda gets filled up with responsibilities. If you're like me, one of the first things to get sacrificed on the altar to Activity is quality time with those we profess to love. We may be present with others but we are not really engaged, not listening to their words with complete attention. Our kids get a quick hug on their way out the door to school. Despite a full schedule, in those times we soon find ourselves feeling empty and lonely. Why? Because lots of activity can never replace close, loving, caring interaction with others. I have counseled with couples whose marriages are in crisis, not because of affairs or moral failure, but because of full schedules. Doing all the stuff that is urgent and 'important' turns lovers into strangers that share the same house!

In my prayers recently, I was complaining to the Lord about the feelings of ineffectiveness that were nagging at the edges of my mind. "Lord, I'm giving it my all, doing what needs to done, but I feel little joy and see few results for all these efforts," I whined. The Spirit whispered to my heart, "How much time have you spent with Me recently?" Wanting to argue instead of listen, I responded, "Lord, I've been in church! I've prayed. I listen to worship music....." Again the Spirit whispered, "It's been a while since you came to just be with Me, to rest in My Presence." I repented again. It is an old pattern of sin with me- replacing times of intimate, contemplative prayer with rushed prayers, hurried worship, and pursuit of efficiency! And I realized anew - there is no way to be effective in spiritual work if there is no full, fresh flow of the Spirit's life in me. It is next to impossible to refresh others with the living water if my own soul is parched and dry.

A familiar story from Luke's Gospel teaches us about loving Jesus. Read it - with attentiveness, even if you've read it before. "As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a village where a woman named Martha welcomed them into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was worrying over the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details! There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it—and I won’t take it away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42, NLT)

In one of my favorite books, The Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster writes, “Our Adversary majors in three things: noise, hurry and crowds. If he can keep us engaged in "muchness" and "manyness," he will rest satisfied.” Go back and re-read that line.

Dear friend, are you replacing relationship with activity?
Are serving God at top speed, but seldom just loving Him?
Are you working so hard to provide for your family that they seldom get the chance to experience your love?

If so the Devil has you in a dangerous place; a situation where the supports at core of your being is eaten away and the exterior walls that look so good are ready to collapse. Listen to Jesus' invitation - words first spoken to a faithful Church in Ephesus, but now spoken to us: “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent." (Revelation 2:2-5, NKJV)
__________________________

Holy Ground - Davis, Geron

In His presence
There is joy beyond measure;
And at His feet
Peace of mind can still be found.
If you have a need,
I know He has the answer;
Just reach out and claim it,
For you are standing on holy ground.

We are standing on holy ground
And I know that there
Are angels all around.
Let us praise Jesus now.
We are standing in His presence
On holy ground.

© 1983 Meadowgreen Music Company (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) / Songchannel Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: