Friday, January 26, 2007

Consequences

I'm currently reading a book titled, Collapse, How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. It is not a 'Christian' book. The author, Dr. Jared Diamond, does not address spiritual issues as a factor in a civilization's success or failure. None the less, he makes a fascinating case for the power of our choices and the inevitable long term consequences of actions. Writing about his studies of great civilizations such as the Maya in Central America, he shows how certain faulty assumptions about weather and/or abuses of the environment eventually brought about unintended consequences and the eventual collapse of these societies. Often the process of collapse spanned several generations and could have been reversed if the society has been willing to make radical changes in their way of life. However, because of the time between cause and consequence, the need to change was either missed or ignored until things were too desperate to bring about a stop in the rapid slide to oblivion!

Do you know that there are spiritual laws, principles that govern outcomes we experience in life? The principle of 'sowing and reaping' is one of those that we can count on. The Word teaches us saying, "Don’t be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!— harvests a crop of weeds. All he’ll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God’s Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life." (Galatians 6:7-8, The Message)

The 'judgment of God' is a recurrent theme of the Scripture. Indeed, it is the focus of the End Time doctrines of the Scripture which assures us that all people, of every age, will be summoned to stand before the Great Judge to give an account for the way they used the opportunities of life. My observation, however, is that judgment does not have to wait for eternity. It often happens right here, right now. Judgment does not always require a direct act of Divine intervention! We are 'judged' in that we receive the consequence of our choices in much the same way as we benefit or suffer in the physical world because of Newtonian laws of physics. Those laws 'judge' me all the time, for example, as I drive my car. When I step on the brakes, I am assured, because of those laws, that my car will decelerate and stop; a very good thing. I am also assured that if I exceed safe driving speeds on a curvy road, my tires will lose their traction and my car will end up in the woods. Judgment will have occurred! In a similar way, God's principles 'judge' us everyday. If we are loving, we will find love. If we are selfish, we will find loneliness. If we live only for today, we will not have rich resources for tomorrow.

One way to illustrate God's law of sowing and reaping is in marriage. A couple of weeks ago, Bev and I celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary. Our marriage is a treasure to both of us, providing us with a safe place in life, with a depth of security and a wealth of love, that has no equal. We did not come to these benefits simply by accident. We are quite intentional in guarding our relationship, exclusively loving each other, offering support to one another, giving up self concern to serve each other, and keeping our vows. As a result, we enjoy a harvest of intimacy, trust, and security that we could not have even imagined 20 years ago. (Yes, I also recognize the amazing grace of God and His rich blessings. I do not write the previous paragraph from any sense of pride, but with deep, humble gratitude to Him!) There were choices to be made along the way. As we did what was right, sometimes not because we necessarily felt like doing it, but because we believed the wisdom of God about marriage; we sowed the seed that is producing an abundant harvest.

A caution is in order. Be careful that you do not look at others and conclude - "They are suffering because they sinned!" Jesus forbade that kind of action from us. "Judge not," He said, "lest you be judged!" You and I do not have enough information about the choices of others to sit in God's seat. And, on this side of eternity, we cannot always discern the 'cause and effect' because we do not grasp the purposes and plans of God which are sometimes hidden from us. Even in our own lives we must not be overly congratulatory or condemning for there are many factors outside of ourselves that influence the outcomes we experience. But, do not ignore the principle - "God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." (Galatians 6:7, NKJV)

Are you building a rich life, walking in God's way, accepting His wisdom, day by day?
Or are you headed for collapse, living a fool's dream that says, "I can do what I please without suffering the consequences."?

Be wise. Submit to God. Learn His ways, and live in His blessings.
_________________________________

Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
Pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but Thou art mighty,
Hold me with Thy pow'rful hand.
Bread of heaven, Bread of heaven,
Feed me till I want no more;
Feed me till I want no more.

Open now the crystal fountain,
Whence the healing stream doth flow;
Let the fire and cloudy pillar
Lead me all my journey through.
Strong Deliverer, strong Deliverer,
Be Thou still my strength and shield;
Be Thou still my strength and shield.

Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah
Williams, William / Fosdick, Harry E. / Hughes, John / William, Peter
© Public Domain CCLI License No. 810055

1 comment:

BleedingHeartCommunist said...

You are free to disagree with the following statement, but I have found in the course of my experience that the "rewards" for Godly choices are frequently internal. It seems to me that our lifestyles and possessions, our proverbial "talents", are given to us at a fixed rate. The opposite of this would be the gifting of the fruits of the spirit, which can be taken advantage of and brought to fruition through the choices we make in our daily lives. Interesting also are the rewards given to us via relationships. Your example of the trust and intimacy garnered from a successful marriage is an excellent demonstration of this facet of my ruminations.