Monday, October 16, 2006

Using Fear to Motivate?

Since 1995, churches around the US have been creating "Hell Houses" in October, capitalizing on the Halloween craze for fright and horror. The concept of the "Hell House" first developed in Arvada, CO by Youth Pastor Keenan Roberts. He created a walk-through experience that featured graphically produced teen-centered vignettes on the consequences of disobeying God's commandments. Promiscuous sex, alcohol abuse, abortion are among the sins that make their appearance in the experience and the ultimate scare is that sinners end up in Hell's flames.It is true that drunkenness, engaging in promiscuous sex, abortion, and homosexual activity are all sins. The Scripture is clear that "the wages of sin is death." But, I would never allow a "Hell House" presentation in the church I lead because I find the whole presentation tragically mis-focused!

The message in the Hell House presentations that people go to Hell because they do bad and immoral things is flat out wrong! Yes, I believe there is an eternal separation from God that is marked by misery, but nobody ends up there because they do immoral acts. If that were the case, we're all doomed. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard." Neither you nor I are an exception to that sweeping indictment. My assurance of being in God's house for eternity is based, not on my moral goodness but on the grace of Christ, which I received in response to the Spirit's gift of faith! I am convinced that in this Hell House craze, Christians who are truly concerned about sharing the goodness of Jesus Christ are placing the em-pha'-sis on the wrong syl-la'-ble!

It is religion that depends on fear and guilt as primary motivators. It is a performance oriented, human effort based religion that needs gory, graphic Hell Houses to scare people into church. But true Christianity doesn't! We don't drive people to Christ Jesus. We lead them, with a message full of promise, to Him. Paul says, "For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. This is the wonderful message he has given us to tell others. We are Christ’s ambassadors, and God is using us to speak to you. We urge you, as though Christ himself were here pleading with you, “Be reconciled to God!”" (2 Corinthians 5:19-20, NLT)

It's hope, not fear, that is our message to a sinful world. Yes, I know that fear is a powerful motivator, but I also know it has a very short shelf life! The fear felt in the dark of night evaporates in the morning's sunshine. The pull of temptation to sin quickly overcomes the terror of God's judgment. As a kid who grew up in church, I heard more than my fair share of 'Hell and damnation' sermons. I attended Youth rallies where the build up to the altar call was long and terrifying! I made many trips to the 'altar' and cried fearful tears of regret as I begged God to forgive my sins... and then days, sometimes even hours, later I went out and did the same things again. Why? Because, fear is simply too weak to restrain the rebellious and sinful heart. When God revealed His patience to me, showed me the depths of His love, and let me know that Jesus died on the Cross to reconcile me to the Father, more than to keep me out of Hell - I was changed. The truth proclaimed in 2 Peter 3:9 became real to me. ". . . He does not want anyone to perish, so he is giving more time for everyone to repent," and I discovered the power of transformation by love.

Love is so much stronger than fear! If we would see people commit their lives to Christ, it must be for love's sake alone. They must see such an irresistible grace in Him that they will repent and turn from sin to serve Him wholeheartedly. The Good News is not 'you're a bunch of awful sinners and you're going to Hell!' The Gospel is "We're all sinners who are deeply loved by God, loved so much that He went to great lengths in Christ Jesus to make our forgiveness and reconciliation possible. He loves us and wants us to come home to His house forever." Read Luke 15 again. In that chapter we read 3 stories Jesus told about 'lost' things: a lost sheep, a lost coin, and a lost son. In each instance when the lost was found, there was a great celebration. The story of the Prodigal Son is really mis-named. It should be called the story of the Waiting Father. When His way-ward son finally comes home, broken by his own willful sinfulness, the father kisses him, restores him to the family, and celebrates his return. Jesus was telling an 'every-man' story! It is a love story that I can never tell without becoming full of emotion.

This Halloween, there will be no Hell House for me. How about a "Heaven House" instead?
_____________________


Amazing grace, how sweet the sound,
that saved a wretch like me,
I once was lost, but now I'm found,
was blind, but now I see.

T'was grace that taught my heart to fear
and grace my fears relieved,
how precious did that grace appear,
the hour I first believed.

No comments: