Friday, October 13, 2006

The stuff with which we wrestle

We had a meeting of our church's Leadership Team last night. We reviewed the church's work; the good things that the Spirit is doing, and there are plenty of good things for which we are thankful. God continues to provide for the church's financial needs through the faithfulness of His people. We are experiencing answered prayers, some real breakthrough moments, for which I praise God! This Summer, two new team members joined us bringing their skills and dedication to our ministries. As we practice good management of our Kingdom resources we are able to take care of the buildings that house the ministries. And then, we faced our challenges - ministries that are not living up to their mission, people needs that we are not yet addressing with effective ministry, and the ongoing requirements of staffing the work we do. In 6 years that I've been a part of this Assembly, we have seen many advances, but there is much left to do. I suppose that there will always be much yet to do! I have said it before and will say it again - "When one set of problems is addressed with solutions, new ones appear making new demands of us." That is true of us as individuals, too.

When I was a young Pastor, just starting out, I would occasionally look at the 'older' Pastors with a couple of decades of experience and think, "When I am as old as they are, I will finally know everything I need to know to really be effective!" Now I am as old as they were then and I realize that while I have accumulated experience and knowledge along the way, there are new challenges rising up in my life for which I must dig up new resources and learn new skills so that I can meet them head on. And, that is as it should be! If a person stops growing, he's dead! A church or ministry without challenges and/or problems is almost assuredly not doing anything measurable for the Kingdom of God.

So, what's challenging you, Believer?

Is it some personal sin and/or habit that is resistant to every attempt you make to overcome it?

Is it a relational challenge - a child you can't reach, a spouse that is growing distant, a old grudge that has festered into something like hatred?

Is it a spiritual thing, where your will and God's will have collided and you're unwilling to yield to His ways?

Is it a physical need that makes you fearful of the future?

Is it anticipating a new stage in life, a looming 'empty nest,' or retirement, or heading off to college, or beginning a new career?

Yes, the list could go on and on. Know this, that list is autobiographical, as those are challenges that I've had to meet and overcome by God's help. Through it all I have come to accept this fact - This kind of stuff happens, 'cause I'm not home yet. I'm still in transit to my Heavenly home where I'll lay these burdens down and enter into the Rest that God has prepared for me. This is the stuff of life with which we wrestle. For some of these challenges there is no understanding 'why,' at least for now. But I know Who does understand it all and He's promised me that I don't have to face these things alone or with my puny resources. There are a couple of promises that I keep in my mind and heart - and I pray those promises when the challenges pile up!

One is that God is coaching me and He knows my limits better than I do. The Bible says it like this- "No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he’ll never let you be pushed past your limit; he’ll always be there to help you come through it." (1 Corinthians 10:13, The Message) The spiritual Foe who seeks to neutralize me wants me to feel alone, forsaken, and overwhelmed. "Jerry, you're the only guy who's ever been in this situation. There is no answer, no way through it, over it, around it, or under it." - is his persistent lie! But, God reminds me, "This is the stuff of human experience, the kind of challenges every child of mine faces. I'm in charge and if you will trust me, I show you the way to stand up to the pressure." What a glorious promise.

Another promise that I hold on to is that Jesus Christ is my Priest and Advocate who is, at this very moment, praying for me! "Now that we know what we have—Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God—let’s not let it slip through our fingers. We don’t have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He’s been through weakness and testing, experienced it all—all but the sin. So let’s walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help." (Hebrews 4:14-16, The Message) My Perfect Priest knows fatigue, disappointment, rejection - every temptation and test - and He's now presenting my needs to the Father, praying for me to be an overcomer!

And, then there is this insight coupled with a great offer - "For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything. If you need wisdom—if you want to know what God wants you to do—ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking." (James 1:3-5, NLT) These challenges have a purpose - to grow me deep in faith and strong in character. If I'm having trouble understanding that, I just have to ask God - "give me wisdom!" and He will.

When I accept God's rule and provision, trust my Priest Advocate, and let my character and faith be developed by life's challenges without complaining, I experience REST even in the middle of the mess! No not the kind of rest like a summer nap in the sun, but the rest of the spirit that keeps my heart and mind from descending into fear, confusion, and panic when challenges are multiplying. And when my final moment of transformation comes, I fully expect to step over the threshold of eternity and hear my Heavenly Dad holler - "Welcome home, son. Pull up a chair and enjoy my provisions. You're at rest forever." My eyes are on that prize.

Endure the challenges, Believer. Embrace them as God's work. Wrestle with them, praying for wisdom and strength - and see what God can do with you in His world.
_____________________________
Got any rivers you think are uncrossable?
Got any mountains you can't tunnel through?
God specializes in things tho't impossible.
He does the things others cannot do.

"Be of good courage"-God spake unto Joshua.
When o'er the river God pointed the way;
Jordan uncrossable! Things seemed impossible,W
aters divide as they march and obey.

Battles to win! They would meet with their obstacles.
Jericho's walls, too, must fall to the ground;
God never failed He stood back of His promises.

Walls had to crumble as they marched around.

God is the same and His Word is dependable.
He'll make a way thru the waters for you;
Life's situations by Him are amendable.
Mountains and hills, He will part for you too.

Got any rivers you think are uncrossable?
Got any mountains you can't tunnel through?
God specializes in things tho't impossible.
He does the things others cannot do.

© 1945, 1973 Oscar C. Eliason. Assigned Singspiration Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Coolsprings Blvd., Franklin TN 37067) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: