Thursday, October 05, 2006

Stormy weather

Several of my readers responded to yesterday's TFTD about battle fatigue with notes that said - 'me, too!' The situations were different - relating to health, kids, jobs, marriage - but each writer identified with the weariness of soul that makes one want to run and hide! A couple of others wrote encouraging, loving notes that said, "Hang in there." So, there it is - empathy and encouragement. We are not alone, and we should not allow ourselves to think that we are. However, as important as the support and love of others is to us in times of stress and fatigue, nothing replaces faith in God! Submitting ourselves to Him, giving our troubles, our fears, our confusion, over to Him is the key to standing up under pressure, for when we trust Him, He gives us grace.

The power of a deep faith that produces a selfless life has been on display on our TV's this week. Have you noticed the response of the Amish Community in Lancaster, PA to the terrible (that's not a strong enough word) tragedy that a man full of hatred brought their way? That man entered one of their one-room school houses, took 10 little girls hostage, then shot them, killing 5 and leaving 4 others critically wounded. If that had happened in New York City, can you imagine the scenes of furious people demanding more police, blaming the Mayor, screaming for revenge? But, the Amish, who live simple lives that actively pursue surrender to God, are choosing forgiveness even as they mourn. That response mystifies many, but it challenges me to think about my demand that God make my life easier! When unexplained events bring less than happy circumstances my way, will I strike out at God, at others? Will I become bitter and hateful in my demand for pleasant ways and easy days? OR, will I let God be God, and trust Him with those situations for which I have no explanations?

As I read the Word today, the text spoke to me. It is a simple story that the Spirit applied to my stormy heart and mind. Here it is. Read it carefully and do not let the familarity of the passage cause you to rush through it. "One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and started out. On the way across, Jesus lay down for a nap, and while he was sleeping the wind began to rise. A fierce storm developed that threatened to swamp them, and they were in real danger. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” So Jesus rebuked the wind and the raging waves. The storm stopped and all was calm! Then he asked them, “Where is your faith?” And they were filled with awe and amazement. They said to one another, “Who is this man, that even the winds and waves obey him?”" (Luke 8:22-25, NLT)

In Mark's account of this event, we are told that Jesus stood up and spoke to the storm - "Peace, be still!" Then He turned to the men who moments before were filled with terror for their lives and asked, "Why are you so afraid? Don't you have any faith?" For me that passage makes me feel comforted and challenged - both an "Oooh!" and an "Ouch!" The comfort comes from the Lord's ability to calm the storm in my life. The challenge, the ouch, comes from His rebuke to my small faith that fails to trust Him at the height of the tempest.

"Lord, increase my faith," is my prayer. I admit that I pray it with some reluctance because I know that the trials and tests of life are what produces deep faith. If we would move beyond our love of the world- grow out of our preoccupations with trivia, celebrities, sports, and such things - we must be willing to let the storms blow. We must be willing to follow the Lord into places and situations that are not of our own choosing. There, where we are desperate, where we are beyond the illusion of being masters of the universe, we learn who God is and thus, to trust Him fully.
______________________

Spirit of God, descend upon my heart:
wean it from earth, through all its pulses move.
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
and make me love Thee, as I ought to love.

Hast Thou not bid us, love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own - soul, heart, and mind, and strength?
I see Thy Cross, there teach my heart to cling,
O let me seek Thee, and O, let me find!

Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh,
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear;
to check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Teach me to love Thee, as Thine angels love;
one holy passion filling all my frame.
The baptism of the Heav'n descended Dove,
My heart an altar, and Thy love- the flame.

- George Crosby

No comments: