Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Mr. Foley is in rehab

Former Congressman Foley's attorney announced that the man had gone to a rehabilitation center after his Internet communications with teenage boys about explicit sexual matters became public and forced his resignation from the House; and, his lawyer also told the media that Mr. Foley had mental health issues! I cannot debate whether the man is an alcoholic or mentally ill, but I find these excuses for malfeasance increasingly hard to accept. Just about every time somebody does something really stupid or very bad, they are deemed to have a medical or mental illness. The implied excuse is 'I could not help my actions because I was incapable of good judgment.' We have become the "Oprah" culture, where everyone is a victim, whose actions find this or that excuse.

Can we possibly accept that human beings just do very bad things because they are depraved creatures who have made sinful choices?

I own my actions, without blaming them on someone else or on situations 'beyond my control.' Here's the straight truth - I do not always do wonderful or noble things. I wish I did, but tragically, for myself and others, I am sometimes selfish, sometimes egotistical... and other things that I won't put into print! And I'm not intoxicated or mentally unhinged when I act in those ways. I have a flawed character; I am a man with a sinful nature that struggles to control me. Does the way my parents interacted with me have some effect on my choices? Yes, most certainly. Is that fact an excuse to act out on my baser impulses? No way! I am responsible for my choices. That said, I throw myself on God's goodness with desperation: "Save me, Lord, from myself!" I pray thus because I accept the Bible's declaration that the only thing that stands between me and some of those whose stories make it onto the TV news is the grace of God. I appropriate His grace liberally. It is only the powerful transformation of my heart and mind, the work of the Spirit of God, that keeps me from sin. The same is true for you, my dear reader. Face the truth, and cling to Jesus!

The paradox is this - in our confession of weakness we are made strong. When Paul prayed for release from his weaknesses, God spoke to him saying, “My kindness is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak.” Paul responded, "So if Christ keeps giving me his power, I will gladly brag about how weak I am." (2 Corinthians 12:9, CEV) We must never revel in our sins or make the mistake of thinking that we are free to disobey the Lord because of His great mercy. Instead, as we confess our need, we draw on His strength, and we are made new, given the freedom to say no to ungodliness and yes to holiness. Remember, too, that this process of being made holy is ongoing. On a daily basis we ask the Spirit of God to fill us, to overflow in us. Today's victory is cause for rejoicing, but tomorrow will bring new temptations. That is why we 'walk in the Spirit' receiving grace and mercy for each new day!

Ponder this passage of promise.

"You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law." (Galatians 5:13-18, NIV)

Let's not join our victim culture, excusing our sins, blaming others for the things we have done. Instead, let's confess our sins and then receive His transforming grace. Pray for genuine holiness not merely superficial piety. At the Cross of Christ, find reconciliation to God.

Then, pray for the Spirit to work to change you from the inside out into the image and likeness of Christ. It is possible. Sinners can and do become saints - not by their own strength, not by rehabilitation, not because of restraint by will or law alone - but from knowing Christ.

Do you know Him? Is He Lord of your life today? Then let it show. And should you fail, find a place of humble prayer, own your sin, and be made new.

Glory to God!

No comments: