Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Praying the Word

The conversations in our home are quite ordinary most of the time.
"Hey, are you going to take out the garbage this morning?"
"Did the mail arrive yet today?"
"When will you be home from work?"
Not exactly scintillating sharing, but quite necessary communication, isn't it? But then there are times when our conversation moves into the deep discussions about our dreams and disappointments, or there are those the tender words of affection, or the playful words of love that sparkle and dance! Perhaps you think me a fool, but occasionally I buy the 'words' of another - printed on a card - to express my love to my wife, too.

So, why I am writing about this in TFTD? Because, since the Scripture teaches that the Believer's relationship with God is modeled on marriage; He being our husband, and Believers being the Bride, we can learn about our relationship with Him by observing the interactions of marriage. Prayer is the daily conversation with our God! Our prayers are often about the mundane stuff of living, aren't they? And that is as it should be. The Bible tells us to 'pray about everything!' We should pray about our budgets, about the concerns of the day, carrying on a conversation with God about the stuff of living. But, we miss out if we do not include worshipful words, thoughtful words, words of wonder, pauses full of awe, interludes of stirred emotions in our prayers - at least every now and then!

One way that we can move our prayers beyond the "Lord, bless the kids, my wife..." ordinariness is to borrow the words of the Scripture. There are some amazing prayers recorded in the Word that touch on our deepest needs, our most intimate longings, that give us ways of expressing our love to Jesus Christ that are incredibly beautiful. This morning, in my own prayers, my heart was troubled by a pressing, sorrowful need. I simply could not find words to express the depth of my longing for His comfort. Yes, there is the language of the Spirit, and I pray in the Spirit on a daily basis, but I wanted to talk with the Lord from my mind. So, I opened to the 119th Psalm and used the words there to express my longings and my love to the Lord.

The beauty of those worshipful words touched a deep place in my life.
Read the words of 'my' borrowed prayer.

Psalm 119:81-90 (NIV)

My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word.
My eyes fail, looking for your promise; I say, “When will you comfort me?”

Though I am like a wineskin in the smoke, I do not forget your decrees.
How long must your servant wait?
When will you punish my persecutors?
The arrogant dig pitfalls for me, contrary to your law.

All your commands are trustworthy; help me, for men persecute me without cause.
They almost wiped me from the earth, but I have not forsaken your precepts.
Preserve my life according to your love, and I will obey the statutes of your mouth.

Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness continues through all generations; you established the earth, and it endures.


Now, that's not just ordinary conversation, is it? Nor is it simply poetry to stir the emotions!Those words fill us with hope, call on the Lord to meet our need, and build our faith.

By the way, did you see that phrase "I am like a wineskin in the smoke."? No, I didn't know what it meant either!That made me think about what I was praying and I went my study resources. There I found that the writer was speaking about a the dried up, wrinkly appearance of wineskin left too close to the fire!Expressive, isn't it? Who among us, at one time or another, hasn't felt like our soul is shriveled, dried up by the fires of life? But the Psalmist expresses determination to remain faithful to his God even when his soul is dry. Then, so honestly he pleads, "How long must I wait?" Oh, that's rich stuff. That's great praying!

In your times of prayer, use the Word from time to time. Take the inspired Words and let them shape your thoughts, express your heart, and deepen your conversation with God.

No comments: