Monday, August 14, 2006

Living blissfully?

Bliss, do you know what it is? The dictionary says it is a state of great joy! The opposite state would be anxiety. Now, given the choice, would you rather be anxious or blissful? The answer is obvious; but, desire does not translate into experience for most people. Anxiety is one of America's most common ailments. Millions of prescriptions for medications that help us to deal with our anxiety are written every month. Many needs medical sleep aids that let them turn off the anxious thoughts so they can rest.

Some reasons for our epidemic of anxiety are plainly seen. Our window on the world lets us see threats from all over the globe and we realize that we live in a dangerous world. Then, too, there are the multiple choices that confront us. Yes, believe it or not, the array of options in everything from where we live, to what we eat, creates a residual of anxiety in many of us as we wonder, "Did I choose the best thing?" Our increasing scientific knowledge is a double-edged sword that let's us create better lives on one hand, and makes us more aware of the potentials for harm on the other! A baby is unaware of the millions of microbes lurking unseen on the floor and happily crawls around eating whatever he finds! No knowledgeable adult would do that.

The Scripture speaks to our anxiety- - "Do not be anxious about anything..."! Ouch! That sounds like a challenge to me. How about you? Written as a command, it cannot be ignored. Believer, we must deal with anxiety differently from those who do not know our God. Even that sounds like a reason to be anxious. What if I can't turn off the worries? What if it seems like I can't obey God's command to live blissfully? Did I sin when I spent a couple of hours in the middle of last night wrestling with the challenges of my world?

Let's read on - "but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7, NIV) The truth is that bliss is not an external state. It is an internal quality, a gift from God for us when we accept the resources that He, the Almighty, makes available. "Tell Me about it," He says. "Lay the things that steal your peace of mind on Me." Let's not mis-read that. God doesn't direct us to tune out, drop out, or escape to some remote place away from life in the pursuit of bliss. He doesn't promise us that we will enjoy lives without challenges, either. The bliss of the Believer is rooted in Who he knows, not in where he lives or what going on in his world!

The quality of our intimacy with God, a sound grasp of Who the Lord is, is a key to living without fear, to being a person at peace in a troubled world. If our religion is a just Sunday morning experience, we will know little peace. If we live like a pagan, pursuing a life that ignores God, that seeks security in wealth or power, we cannot know God's promised peace. If we are double-minded, speaking Scripture truth with our mouth but living with a mind shaped by the values of the world and a heart that is in love with the world; bliss will remain an illusive mirage on the horizon.

Believer, it is the will of God that we learn to live peacefully. A primary evidence of the Spirit's life in us will be our peace in the middle of the storms. If we are connected to Christ, experiencing the daily flow of the Spirit's Presence, bliss will result. The Presence of God will let us live differently from those around us who are running around seeking some way to alleviate the stress. If we are held in the Hand of the One who is the Eternal God when our world is severely shaken and we will remain solid as a rock in our faith; capable of engaging with the needs and troubles of the world of which we are a part without loosing our bliss.

Here's a word from the Word. As you read it, breathe a prayer of thanksgiving. Reach out to the Lord of life and receive peace for your day.
Jesus says - "“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-30, The Message)
_________________________________________
When peace, like a river,
attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot,
Thou hast taught me to say,
“It is well, it is well with my soul”

Though Satan should buffet,
though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul!

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross,and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
O my soul!
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul!

And Lord haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound,and the
Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Horatio Spafford - Public Domain

No comments: