Thursday, August 24, 2006

Encourage -

One from the archives....

Encourage-

-- To inspire with hope, courage, or confidence; hearten.
-- To give support, to foster growing or development
________________________

When a person leaves an encounter with you, have you added value to his life, or taken something away?
I find that some people consistently bring a lift to me when we converse. Others whine or criticize or moan, and leave me feeling depleted!
Now, I don't mean to suggest that we all must become 'sunny, radiant, always speaking positive things' kind of people, because that's not really possible.
But, overall, I believe a worthwhile goal for us is that, by God's help, we learn to be encouragers.

In October, 1977, at a time in my life when I was trying hard to develop a ministry in a new place, I met Tom Johnson, a generous soul and one of the best encouragers I've ever known. He knew I needed a job that allowed me some flexibility in schedule, so I could also do ministry work. So, one day he took me to meet his supervisor, told that man that I was a good guy, then quit on the spot, recommending me for his job! Tom believed I needed the job and its benefits for my family more than he did! His actions encouraged me in my quest to serve God in a difficult time of testing of faith.

Are you an encouraging Believer? Are you looking for opportunities to lend courage, hope, and confidence to others?
Christ Jesus calls on us to active caring. It isn't enough to passively love each other. Our love must find ways to be expressed.
Romans 12:8-10 If your gift is to encourage others, do it! . . . And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly. Don’t just pretend that you love others. Really love them. . . Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.
Hebrews 10:24 Think of ways to encourage one another to outbursts of love and good deeds.
Let me plant some practical suggestions in your mind of ways you might be an encourager today:

a. Send a note of sincere appreciation to someone who has served you sacrificially.b. Take note of a person who's work is 'behind the scenes' and sincerely compliment their efforts.
c. Offer to pray with a friend that seems overwhelmed by life, then pray a positive prayer full of words of blessing. (Careful, don't preach while you pray!)
d. Roll up your sleeves and practically lift someone's burden for a couple of hours; mow their lawn, watch their kids, cook their dinner, or take them to a movie.
e. Actively listen if someone opens their heart without offering any advice. Let them unburden their heart to you. Let your eyes and posture say, "I really do care!"

The world is full of critics. It is easy to point out another's flaws. It is often easy to 'see' (in our self-important opinion, anyway) why our brother or sister is in that situation. "Well, if she would just.... " Can the criticism. It doesn't help. A preacher once told me, "Just about anyone can do demolition, but it takes real skill to be a builder!"
Today, pray that the Lord will make you a skillful builder of others...1 Thessalonians 5:11 Encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

No comments: