Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Running in circles?

Americans sometimes say, "I'm running around like a chicken with his head cut off!" The idiom comes from reality. In the farmyard when Farmer Jim chops the head off of a rooster in preparation for dinner, that bird will sometimes run around and flop before finally expiring. Gruesome, isn't it? But true! With so much to do and so little time in which to do it all, we may feel that we are running in circles. In those days, it is important to remember the word - "Choice!"

In the July 3, 2006 issue of U.S.News, the editors focus on taking a break in the Summer. Seems that we Americans are addicted to our work, driven rather than purposeful. A third of us (me, included!) don't take our full vacation time. Even when we do 'take off,' our wired world makes it possible for us to take the job with us via cell phones and laptop computers. Ellen Ostrow believes that many of us are unwilling to take a break because it will "challenge your grandiose notion that you are completely dispensable." Author Carl Honore observes that even when we take breaks many of us 'don't get the full pleasure because we don't take time between activities to decompress, to reflect, and to enjoy what we do." We think that vacation includes the whole city, 30 museums, and 30 monuments in 5 days! What ever happened to a week in a chair in the backyard with a couple of novels to browse between naps?

An old Christian phrase I've heard so many times is - "I want to burn out for God!" I wonder about that idea. Is that really a good goal? Did Jesus 'burn out' as He ran from appointment to appointment, pushing people to higher levels of performance, over 'take out' lunches? He was moved as He saw a world filled with people who were 'harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.' He encouraged His disciples to “Come off by yourselves; let’s take a break and get a little rest.” For there was constant coming and going. They didn’t even have time to eat. So they got in the boat and went off to a remote place by themselves. (Mark 6:31-33, The Message)

There are high output times in life, weeks when deadlines converge and unplanned emergencies arise. In the crunch times we must respond with everything we have, with our full energies, and focused efforts. But, we cannot sustain that pace of life indefinitely without terrible consequences- emotionally, physically, and spiritually! The stories of people who burnt out, slid into depression, and then destroyed their lives with dumb choices are all around us. The truth is that God designed us for work and rest. In the Creation He made the pattern - 6 days to work, 1 to rest! In the Law of Moses, He set times for rest and renewal, regular festivals and Holy Days that broke up the work and gave His people time to refocus on Him.

Perhaps you are thinking, "I'd like to live more purposefully, but my life drives me!" I, too, know how difficult it can be to escape the demands of life. Mine is a 'people' calling. I cannot turn off the 'machine' of people's needs at 5 PM. I cannot ignore the calls for prayer, for counsel, that come my way at all hours of the day and sometimes, the night. But, I can choose to lean on the Lord and to share the load of ministry where it is appropriate to do so. I can, and do, practice the disciplines of prayer and meditation that create spaces of renewal in the middle of busy weeks. I prioritize worship, both private and with the church gathered, because I know that without worship, I will lose my focus on Him and start to 'run around like a chicken with his cut off!'

If you have not yet scheduled some vacation (from a Latin root word meaning - to empty!) - do it today. Get out the calendar, consult with those with whom you work, and put some time aside to take a break. Take care not to over-schedule the break! Too many of will let our addiction to stimulation think that we have to be going somewhere, doing something, in order to be having fun. Think again.

Here's a word to ponder today. What is Jesus saying to you?

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-31, The Message)

No comments: