Friday, May 19, 2006

A real wise guy or really wise?

It isn't a compliment to be labeled a 'wise guy.' It means to be arrogant, flippant, and a bit too sure of one's self. 'Wise guys' aren't wise at all. Truthfully, they are usually very much like the adolescent boys in 6th or 7th grade who think they know so much about life, yet who know so little. Their ignorance is apparent to all except their peers. The boasts, bravado, and banter cover up deep insecurities and uncertainties about their identities in this world. It makes me laugh to remember what a little wise guy I was at age 13! God delayed my growth, so I was the little guy in my group. Lacking physical strength, I compensated by developing verbal skills that I used as my 'armor.' I thought I was so witty, so clever... really, I was just obnoxious, a real 'wise guy.'

Hopefully the experience of the passing years has caused me to become less a 'wise guy' and a man possessing true wisdom. Wisdom is a beautiful thing, a grace that creates confidence, that blesses both the one who possesses it and those with whom she walks in life. How I love spending time with a person who is wise, whose words impart life and health. When I am with someone in whom I perceive wisdom, I love to listen and learn.

The Bible lauds wisdom saying:
"Learn to be wise, and develop good judgment. Don’t forget or turn away from my words. Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you. Love her, and she will guard you.
Getting wisdom is the most important thing you can do! And whatever else you do, get good judgment.

If you prize wisdom, she will exalt you. Embrace her and she will honor you. She will place a lovely wreath on your head; she will present you with a beautiful crown.” (Proverbs 4:5-9, NLT)

How do we get wisdom?

First, we submit ourselves to the Wisdom of the Ages! There is a worldly wisdom, a knowledge of the ways of the systems that we work with each day, that may help us 'get ahead' of the pack, gain wealth, hold onto position, and exert our influence. But all that cleverness is built on a foundation of sand and will collapse. "Hasn’t God exposed it all as pretentious nonsense?... to us who are personally called by God himself—both Jews and Greeks—Christ is God’s ultimate miracle and wisdom all wrapped up in one." (1 Corinthians 1:20, 24, The Message) The true wisdom of God is not temporary, nor is it set aside by the changing times.

Second, we ask for the Spirit to give us wisdom! "If you need wisdom—if you want to know what God wants you to do—ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking." (James 1:5, NLT) If you pray for wisdom, prepare for class! That's right. God seldom just opens up our head and pours in His wisdom. Instead, He sends us to school. With trials and tests, He shows us our limits and teaches us to rely on Him. Job entered God's Wisdom University. He professed -"when he has tested me like gold in a fire, he will pronounce me innocent. “For I have stayed in God’s paths; I have followed his ways and not turned aside. I have not departed from his commands but have treasured his word in my heart." (Job 23:10-12, NLT)

Third, we learn from the Word! "Your commands give me an edge on my enemies; they never become obsolete. I’ve even become smarter than my teachers since I’ve pondered and absorbed your counsel." (Psalm 119:98-99, The Message) As we learn the Scripture, we are privileged to attend classes taught by Moses, David, Isaiah, Jesus, Luke, and Paul. What professors they are. The wisdom they give to us is not simply their own; they speak the inspired Truth of God.

Wisdom gives us the ability to discern. We have insight and can separate truth from error, mere image from reality. We know what is true food for our soul and what is just mental junk food.

Want to live well? Then, learn to live wisely! Let God take you from being a 'wise guy' to real wisdom. It will make your life a thing of beauty!

"If you want to live well, make sure you understand all of this. If you know what’s good for you, you’ll learn this inside and out. God’s paths get you where you want to go. Right-living people walk them easily; wrong-living people are always tripping and stumbling. " (Hosea 14:9-12, The Message)

No comments: