Monday, December 12, 2005

Shine brightly!

Driving home in the darkness last night, I took note of the lights. I saw a house where the decorating was a work of beauty, symmetrical white lights strung neatly, tastefully done, that showed an artist's eye and a craftsman's ability. There was an amazingly garish display that included a lighted inflatable Santa, a giant green Grinch, and a huge globe with fake snow blowing inside- all of this excess was surrounded by a jumble of colored light. It made me laugh - a joyful laugh at the range of 'taste' in our society. Apparently those folks love Wal-Mart's ideal of decorating for Christmas. And their zeal for joining in the celebration is admirable. It's just Christmas and it all makes me happy, somehow.

This Season has brought a lot of noise about the so-called 'war on Christmas.' We hear of schools that change the lyrics in Christmas songs to make them neutered holiday tunes. We read of large store chains eliminating references to Christmas in their 'holiday' advertising. TV's talking heads have made much of this, joined by pontificating preachers who point to the preponderance of the evidence as indicating that these United States are spiritually bankrupt.

"This little light of mine, I gonna let it shine." That's how I feel about whole deal. I am tired the 'red state, blue state' controversy, of the Christians who wear their offenses prominently on their sleeves. Is America in a spiritual crisis over Christmas? I do not really know. It really depends on where you look and how you read the signs. For every school wear an overly zealous administrator kills the singing of "Silent Night," there will be a thousand where it is sung. For every place that Christmas is 'x-ed' out by the marketing department for fear of turning off a few shopper's, there will be hundreds of signs that proclaim- "Merry Christmas!" in bold, bright colors. The whole idea of declaring war over the manger of the Prince of Peace strikes me as an absurdity in the extreme.

How about we just put up our lights, and not just on our houses? How about instead of getting ourselves worked up about the secularists who seem to hate the Holy Day, why not just go and do something wonderfully loving? Our little church gathered 193 shoeboxes full of little gifts and sent them off to Operation Christmas Child. It wasn't an earthshaking thing, but it let a little light shine. I've made it my personal mission for this month to wish everybody a "Merry Christmas" and a "God bless you" from the heart, just to let a little light shine.

Here's a word from the Word for you to ponder today- "God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God. God blesses those who are persecuted because they live for God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. “God blesses you when you are mocked and persecuted and lied about because you are my followers. Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted, too.

“You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor?Can you make it useful again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.
You are the light of the world—like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Don’t hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all." (Matthew 5:9-15, NLT)
______________________

This Little Light Of Mine

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Hide it under a bushel, no! I'm gonna let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel, no! I'm gonna let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel, no!, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Don't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine.
Don't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine.
Don't let Satan blow it out, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Let it shine till Jesus comes, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine tell Jesus comes, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine tell Jesus comes, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.


Author: Loes, Harry DixonCopyright: Public Domain

No comments: