Thursday, October 20, 2005

"I sure hope that Sam is listening."

Have you ever heard a sermon in church that was really convicting, that dug deep into an issue of life and found yourself thinking, "I sure hope Sam is listening!"? Have you ever been confronted about a habit, an attitude, or an action by a friend and reacted defensively? Who hasn't?

In the middle of the celebration of the Passover meal on the night before He was crucified Jesus dropped a grenade on the table - "Somebody sitting here will betray me tonight!" Those men reacted naturally. "It isn't me!" They pointed to each other. As I read Luke's account (22) between the lines I think I can see Peter standing up abruptly and declaring, "It's not me. Remember I'm the guy who walked on the water. I was on the mountain and saw Jesus talking with Moses. I'm number one here! Not me, guys, so don't go looking at me!" Why do I think that? As we read on through the story, first we hear that a dispute about 'who was the greatest' broke out, and then, Jesus tells Peter directly that he will deny his relationship to Jesus three times before dawn breaks!

Judas was not the only betrayer at that table! Judas sold out Jesus, but Peter broke the Lord's heart by denying he even knew him. Peter's pride left him vulnerable to Satan's attack. Peter was no coward. He was a bold man, the only disciple who attempted to defend Jesus from those who came to arrest Him in the garden. But, his courage would fail. He needed Someone more than he could possibly find in himself. He might have found strength from the Spirit of God, but instead he trusted in himself and failed miserably. In warning Jesus said to him, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat." (Luke 22:31, NKJV) Hours later, the proud leader of that little band of Jesus' friend was a broken man, full of guilty remorse, hearing his denials - "I never knew Him!" echoing again and again. Weeks later, the resurrected Jesus met Peter in the Galilee and there beside a small fire, probed his heart and led him to forgiveness and healing. Just as Peter had denied the Lord three times, he was given three opportunities to affirm his love for Jesus. (see John 21)

Years later Peter writes to remind all Believers of the source of real strength. It isn't in bluff, bluster, or defensiveness. "...serve each other in humility, for “God sets himself against the proud, but he shows favor to the humble.” So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and in his good time he will honor you." (1 Peter 5:5-6, NLT) Humility allows us to know the strength of God's grace. Hearing the Word, hearing the words of others who would advise or even correct requires humility! God may use His Word, your pastor, your child, or even a co-worker who is ungodly to bring an instructive word to you. Will you hear it or deflect it? Will you consider better than another, allowing pride to make you deaf? Will you say, "I sure hope Sam is listening," and miss what the Spirit is saying to you?

Here's a word from the Word to ponder today:"Don’t be so naive and self-confident. You’re not exempt.You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it’s useless. Cultivate God-confidence." (1 Corinthians 10:12, The Message)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Smart folks doing interesting things
Still behind on giving props to folks I know, who, despite all the Web 2.0 hype and Bubble 2.0 anti-hype, are busy doing what matters; inventing a better future for all of us, in both small and grand ways.
Hi there! I have found your blog finally! I have some great news for you to see at loaded with money and it is really cool!
Check it out whenever you want ;-)