Tuesday, October 18, 2005

How rich I am!

On Sunday, our church celebrated the various ministries that are offered to the congregation and community in our annual Ministry Expo. The hallways were packed with displays created by people who serve God in various ways. There was a buzz of excitement and the enthusiasm of people who are making a difference in this corner of the world made the atmosphere one of expectation. Earlier that morning, when I spoke challenging people to receive God's love and then to give it away in some ministry, there was a response of faith. That afternoon, as Bev and I were on our way to get a quick lunch at Panera (great place for sandwich, salad, and soup!) we thought over the day, talking about the wonderful people with whom we serve, and it settled over me again, freshly, how very rich I am! No, I don't have a lot of money in the bank nor do I own much in terms of material possessions. A summary of my financial net worth wouldn't exactly position me on anyone's list of wealthy people either. But I am rich!

God has allowed me to know His grace, repeatedly- even when I've failed Him miserably. He has used me as a priest to pour His grace into the lives of others, often not through what I perceive to be my strengths, but through my scars, those marks left when I've been so broken and where He's healed me. He's let me love and be loved by many - in my family, in the church I serve, and in this world. And thus, I am rich! "For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich." (2 Corinthians 8:9, NKJV) I am a son of God and my Father has written me into His will, making me an heir of incredible wealth. I exult in this great wealth."Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you." (1 Peter 1:3-4, NIV)

Please do not read this is as some kind of boast. That is not at all why I am writing it. My purpose is to encourage you to include ALL of your wealth when you're doing an inventory of life. If I only focused on the material things I do not have, I would arrive at a different conclusion. But, when I look at the spiritual blessings I do enjoy, the bottom line on the balance sheet of life changes considerably.

What kind of wealth are you striving for?
Where is your treasure?
Are you measuring your wealth by the amount of resources you are able to keep in store in a 401(k) or by the performance of your portfolio at Morgan Stanley?

Or are you committing to building true wealth? There is nothing inherently wrong with having material wealth, but the moment will come when the things of this world are left behind. Only the treasure stored in Heaven- through service, through generous giving, through loving others - will figure into the balance sheet then.

Here's a word from the Word to take along with you today. Think it over - maybe even jot it on a piece of paper - and let the Spirit guide you in applying it to your life - "True humility and fear of the Lord lead to riches, honor, and long life." (Proverbs 22:4, NLT)
______________________________

How Rich Am I

How rich I am since Jesus came my way,
Redeemed my soul and turned my night to day.
How very rich, how very rich I am!

Such peace and joy I never knew before.
And countless blessings from His boundless store.
How very rich, how very rich I am!

There's a greater glory in a sunset,
A brighter twinkle in a star,
There's much more promise in a rainbow,
More music in a singing bird by far;
All things have changed my eyes once blind can see,
The whole wide world is now a symphony,
And with all this, heav'n is my destiny,
How rich I am!

Author: Peterson, John W.Copyright: 1956.
Renewed 1984 John W. Peterson Music Company
CCLI License No. 810055

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.