Monday, August 08, 2005

Home - here or there?

It's good to be home! For 12 days, I enjoyed taking in splendid views from soaring mountains in Colorado. Worshipping with thousands of Believers at the Assemblies of God General Council in Denver last week left my heart full to overflowing. I appreciated the break from the daily responsibilities of life, recognizing that I needed renewal in mind and body, yet, to borrow an old phrase, "there's no place like home!" I missed the easy camaraderie with friends and the rhythms of daily work. By Saturday, I was intensely longing for home!

Do you ever feel homesick for Heaven? The Bible teaches us that as children of God we're not home, yet! Peter uses very powerful words calling us, 'aliens and strangers in the world.' 1 Peter 2:11 An alternate translation is 'sojourner' meaning one who is temporarily living away from his home. Where is your heart's true home? But, some might say, "how can Heaven be my 'home' when I have never been there?" Good question, and one I used to wonder about. As we worship and grow spiritually in Christ's love, we become increasingly at home in God's Presence. Today, I feel most alive, most at home, when I am with God's people, in the Spirit, enjoying the fellowship of Jesus. And that's just a tiny sample of Heaven. More and more, I long for Heaven and the beauty of my home there.

That's not to say there isn't beauty to be found here in this world. The smile of a child, the grandeur of Creation, the love of a friend are God's gifts to us while we make the pilgrimage to His home. In much the same way I found many wonderful moments in my time 'on the road,' but those glory moments did not replace the sense of being an 'alien' in a place far from home.

Here's what the Words tells us about life on the road and our anticipation of Heaven. Let it inspire you today.
"We know that when these bodies of ours are taken down like tents and folded away, they will be replaced by resurrection bodies in heaven—God-made, not handmade —and we’ll never have to relocate our “tents” again.
Sometimes we can hardly wait to move—and so we cry out in frustration. Compared to what’s coming, living conditions around here seem like a stopover in an unfurnished shack, and we’re tired of it! We’ve been given a glimpse of the real thing, our true home, our resurrection bodies!
The Spirit of God whets our appetite by giving us a taste of what’s ahead. He puts a little of heaven in our hearts so that we’ll never settle for less."
(2 Corinthians 5:1-5, The Message)

Believer, don't try to make this world your permanent home. It's passing away! Live to the full, give each day your best for the glory of God. Announce the Kingdom of God to those with whom you live, but keep Heaven in your heart.
________________________

O, heaven is in my heart,
O, heaven is in my heart.

The kingdom of our God is here,
Heaven is in my heart.
The presence of His majesty,
Heaven is in my heart.
And in His presence joy abounds,
Heaven is in my heart.

The light of holiness surrounds,
Heaven is in my heart.
His precious life on me He spent,
Heaven is in my heart.
To give me life without an end,
Heaven is in my heart.

In Christ is all my confidence,
Heaven is in my heart.
The hope of my inheritance,
Heaven is in my heart.
We are a temple for His throne,
Heaven is in my heart.

And Christ is the foundation stone,
Heaven is in my heart.
He will return to take us home,
Heaven is in my heart.
The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come!"
Heaven is in my heart.


© 1991 Make Way Music (Admin. by Music Services) CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: