Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Wonder

Saturday evening we had a concert at the Assembly that featured the artistry of Phil Keaggy. When the idea of having Keaggy for a concert was presented to me, I wasn't really all that excited. I was puzzled why anyone would want to hear a guy play a guitar for two hours. Obviously, I'm not a guitarist! But my friend Jake, who is a Keaggy fan, was enthused about the possibilities. I allowed his enthusiasm to become mine. Saturday, when I experienced what Jake had tried to describe, the artist was all he was promised to be, and more. His passion, talent, and skills came together in a program that made me feel something I cannot describe adequately. He was wonder-full. During the concert, I was lifted above the ordinary for a while, carried along by the art of a little man who was passionate about creating beauty with his guitar.

I am learning to experience 'wonder' more often than I formerly did. I have lived my life as a practical man, valuing getting the job done. I feel best about myself and life when a task is completed. It's not a bad trait and helps me to plow through a lot of work, but I am realizing that being so focused on 'work' can keep me from experiencing another dimension of life. I have spent many days of my 50 years on this globe so focused on planning the next meeting, solving the current problem, writing Sunday's sermon, making sure my family was fed, clothed, and housed -- that I missed much of the beauty of being 'in the moment.' Is that a common trait of younger men? Perhaps. Now I am realizing that art exists for the purpose of delighting us and that art is found in many places - a guitar concert, a baby's smile, a painting, a photograph, a tiny bugleweed flower (my brother showed me this exquisite little 'weed' in my lawn last week), a poem, and a million other places. Last night I read Shakespeare's 29th Sonnet and found tears in my eyes! The artistry of his language captured a mood with such amazing skill, I read and re-read the passage, even calling my wife to listen to it. I don't think she felt the wonder! (smile)

Worship and wonder are closely related. We will sense God's Presence more readily if and when we learn to 'wonder.' The dryness of much in the practice of Christianity is the result of reducing worship to theological concepts and empty liturgy, hurrying through the forms without allowing for the Spirit to touch us, trying to make the 'wonder-full' truths that the Bible tells us in the stories of the works of God into neat packages of doctrine. Christians do not have much time for mystery these days. We want explanations! We want proofs! We want to know how it works and what the benefits are! "Preacher," we demand, "get me saved. Make me good. Give me three steps to being better at ...." But life isn't that simple. There is an awesome mystery that God allows to exist around us which we can only appreciate if we will allow ourselves to wonder.

Recover the wonder! It will cause you to serve God with more passion, to love Him more deeply.
Ponder this passage as you move through this day.
Isaiah 29:13-14 (NKJV)
Therefore the Lord said:
“Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths
And honor Me with their lips,
But have removed their hearts far from Me,
And their fear toward Me is taught by the commandment of men,
Therefore, behold, I will again do a marvelous work
Among this people, A marvelous work and a wonder;
For the wisdom of their wise men shall perish,
And the understanding of their prudent men shall be hidden.”
_________________________


Lord of all creation
Of water, earth, and sky,
Heavens are your tabernacle,
Glory to the Lord on high!
Early in the morning,
I will celebrate the Light.
When I stumble in the darkness
I will call Your name by night.


God of wonders beyond our galaxy
You are holy, holy.
The universe declares your majesty.
You are holy, holy!
Lord of heaven and earth!
Lord of heaven and earth!
Hallelujah to the Lord of heaven and earth!


© New Spring Publishing© 2000 CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: