Monday, May 16, 2005

Just say, "thanks!"

A word of appreciation can be as refreshing as a rain shower. Sunday evening, after a busy weekend of church related activities I was tired, really tired! As I was walking to my car about 8, Bob came over and, with just a few sincere words, told me that he was appreciative of a ministry effort that Bev and I spearheaded. I could not believe how much those couple of sentences meant to me. His gratitude affirmed the work I do letting me know that there is a positive benefit which isn't always easily discerned in the calling of a Pastor. I appreciated his appreciation!

It caused me to review what God was doing in my life and I spent a few moments pouring out my praise to Him. I thanked Him for a beautiful day on Saturday that I spent in the company of my wife, working in our yard together. I thanked Him for the skill and artistry of Phil Keaggy which I was privileged to enjoy that evening. I thanked Him for the joy of worshipping with other Believers and for the people He is bringing together at the Assembly to build His kingdom in our corner of the world. I thanked Him for the awesome privilege of preaching the Word. I thanked Him for friendships renewed yesterday with people from a congregation I served years ago. And, as I offered up my thanks, I felt the release of the Spirit's renewing Presence in my own heart. Such is the power of praise.

Once I started to praise, the gratitude in my heart became like a snowball rolling down a hill, growing and picking up speed. Even now, as I write about those moments, I want to break out in song -
"...and when I think of His love for me,
my heart fills with praise and I feel like dancing;

for in His heart there is room for me;
so I run with my arms open wide!

God is good, we sing and shout it;
God is good, we celebrate!"


Praise is pleasing to God, not the forced kind, not the insincere kind - the real recognition of Who He is and what He's doing. At the start of this new week, let me encourage you toward thankfulness. Express your appreciation to someone today - a simple 'thank you' may be just what they need. Thank God for ... well, make it your praise! You will find that the sun seems to shine a bit brighter as the Spirit of God flows into your life and lifts you up.
___________________________________
Psalm 100 (The Message)

1 On your feet now—applaud God!
2 Bring a gift of laughter, sing yourselves into his presence.
3 Know this: God is God, and God, God.
He made us; we didn’t make him.
We’re his people, his well-tended sheep.
4 Enter with the password: “Thank you!”
Make yourselves at home, talking praise. Thank him. Worship him.
5 For God is sheer beauty, all-generous in love, loyal always and ever.

No comments: