Friday, March 15, 2024

Still Hungry?


A steak sizzles on the grill. A potato bakes in the oven, getting ready for serving with sour cream and butter. There is whole grain bread, warmed and rich in flavor. A salad of fresh greens and vegetables is prepared along with a homemade vinaigrette dressing … hungry yet?  

My tastes are simple, but I know this - a fatty, salty cheeseburger and some fries will fill my stomach, but a rich meal will truly satisfy my hunger for much longer.  America’s number one health problem is obesity. Could it be that the fast food we eat too often is leaving us hungry, thus increasing our consumption of calories?

Of course I am not a dietician, but I am a pastor and I know that too often, too many, spend too much time chasing satisfaction for their empty soul in junk food - entertainment, sex, TV, and endless diversions! Even Christians remain spiritually hungry, starved even, because their spiritual diet is mostly pre-digested devotional material, 30 second prayers, infrequent worship, and based on emotion rather than truth.  Sound harsh? Give me a couple of minutes to explain.

IF we chase an emotional high in our spirituality while avoiding the complexities of spiritual disciplines such as meditation, silence, and corporate because they are hard, or boring, or just feel unfamiliar - we will not come to know the fullness of the Spirit of God Who, alone, can satisfy our hunger and thirst!  A quick hit of inspiration cannot replace a soul-deep time with God. An occasional thought of spiritual matters cannot take the place of the pursuit of the Presence of the Living God. The Lord asks us a question and follows with a promise:  
“Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink—even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk—it’s all free!
Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength?
Why pay for food that does you no good?
Listen, and I will tell you where to get food that is good for the soul.”

“Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, for the life of your soul is at stake. I am ready to make an everlasting covenant with you.
I will give you all the mercies and unfailing love that I promised to David.”-
Isaiah 55:1-3 (NLT)

We are made to know God, alive in His Spirit, experiencing His Presence.
If we do not pursue Him, because of fear, or rebellion, or ignorance, our famished soul will look for something or someone to satisfy.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is our invitation to know God. He closed the gap that existed because of guilt and shame, inviting us to come close to Him. Listen to the Word. On the last day, the climax of the festival, Jesus stood and shouted to the crowds, “If you are thirsty, come to me!  If you believe in me, come and drink! For the Scriptures declare that rivers of living water will flow out from within.”  (When he said “living water,” he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him.) -John 7:37-39 (NLT)

My friend, we do not have to go to some far away place to find Him. We need not go on an expensive spiritual retreat or find some special preacher or spiritual leader. He is here, now!  He will come to the humble one who invites Him in faith to be Savior, Lord, and Hope. He is the ‘Bread of Life.’  When we have received His grace gift we then must learn to live in Him, serving, worshipping, developing ways that are holy and pleasing to Him. The Scripture illustrates this growth by referring to the ‘milk’ of spiritual infancy and the ‘meat’ enjoyed by those who are grown up in Christ.

In what are you trying to find soul-satisfaction? The word from the Word is the wisdom of Jesus who contrasts a life given to temporal things - clothes, wealth, pleasure- with the life of the Spirit. Jesus says: “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." (Matthew 6:31-33, NLT)  That sounds like real soul satisfaction to me! How about you?

____________

(Video of this blog at this link)

Satisfied

 All my lifelong I had panted
For a drink from some cool spring
That I hoped would quench the burning
Of the thirst I felt within

Hallelujah I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved
Jesus satisfies my longings
Thro' His blood I now am saved

Feeding on the husks around me
Till my strength was almost gone
Longed my soul for something better
Only still to hunger on

Poor I was and sought for riches
Something that would satisfy
But the dust I gathered 'round me
Only mocked my soul's sad cry

Well of water ever springing
Bread of life so rich and free
Untold wealth that never faileth
My Redeemer is to me

 Clara Tear Williams © Public Domain

No comments: