Friday, February 16, 2024

Jesus, help me!


When asked the common question- “how are you doing?”- I generally answer, honestly, with the word - “Wonderful!”  I mean it. I love life!  I am blessed with a meaningful life, plenty of food, a comfortable home, a wide circle of friends, support, and four children who make me both proud to be their Dad and thankful for their accomplishments.  have peace of mind and hope for eternity.

Yes, life is good and yet … days come when the chaos and suffering so common in this world gets to me, keeping me awake in the small hours of morning, turning my prayers into sighs and sometimes even tears.  A couple of those kinds of days came my way this week. Remembering the millions suffering in war conditions, sitting with a couple struggling to come to terms with the realities of advanced age, standing with a family broken by an untimely and tragic death, seeing poverty up close, and reading of violence in the streets of our cities - there was a feeling like being punched in the gut. 

Mike Woodruff, pastor and author, calls that a "Caspian moment."  He writes - “When Prince Caspian — the title character in the Narnian Chronicles of the same name — comes face to face with Aslan, the lion king asks him, "Do you feel yourself sufficient to take up the Kingship of Narnia?" Caspian says, "I — I don't think I do, Sir." To which Aslan responds, "Good. If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been proof that you were not.” Have you had your Prince Caspian moment?”

When we are overwhelmed, when we sense our smallness in a vast universe, there is fertile soil for the growth of humility which paradoxically creates the opportunity for Christ to reveal His grace and goodness to us. When our sense of mastery and control melt away we are ready to say, “Come, Lord Jesus, to my life and lead me.”  Or less eloquently, we may borrow Carrie Underwood’s words - “Jesus, take the wheel!”

So many want Him to be their Savior, giving hope. Fewer want to crown Him King and serve Him as Lord. Here in the opening days of Lent, the chaos of the world and the choice to surrender can combine to help us to discover a life that is rooted in things beyond the common blessings of our existence.

Our hope is not without a foundation. Jesus’ prayer for His disciples at the Last Supper before He went to the Cross gives us the promise of a strength beyond our own.  He prays for us!  “Now I am departing the world; I am leaving them behind and coming to you. Holy Father, keep them and care for them—all those you have given me—so that they will be united just as we are.” … "I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. They are not part of this world any more than I am. Make them pure and holy by teaching them your words of truth. As you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world." (John 17:11, 15-18, NLT)

Is your life stormy at the moment? Do you sense your weakness, knowing your inability to calm the storm? 
Rather than rage or fear, choose faith!
Shouting at the wind does little but exhaust us.
Retreating into ourselves in fear tends only to amplify the voices that threaten our destruction.

Have you had a ‘Caspian moment?’
Choose humility. Act from faith, even if small. Find rest in His arms! From that place, you will become strong, equipped to live as He desires, knowing a ‘peace that goes beyond human comprehension.’

Here is a word from the Word - "We are confident that as you share in suffering, you will also share God’s comfort. I think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and completely overwhelmed, and we thought we would never live through it. In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we learned not to rely on ourselves, but on God who can raise the dead. And he did deliver us from mortal danger. And we are confident that he will continue to deliver us." (2 Corinthians 1:7-10, NLT)  Trust Him!

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Jesus, Take the Wheel

She was driving last Friday on her way to Cincinnati on a snow-white Christmas Eve

Going home to see her mama and her daddy with the baby in the backseat

50 miles to go, and she was running low on faith and gasoline

It'd been a long, hard year

She had a lot on her mind, and she didn't pay attention

She was going way too fast

 

Before she knew it, she was spinning on a thin black sheet of glass

She saw both their lives flash before her eyes

She didn't even have time to cry

She was so scared

She threw her hands up in the air

 

Jesus, take the wheel

Take it from my hands

'Cause I can't do this on my own

I'm letting go

So give me one more chance

And save me from this road I'm on

Jesus, take the wheel

 

It was still getting colder when she made it to the shoulder

And the car came to a stop

She cried when she saw that baby in the backseat, sleeping like a rock

And for the first time in a long time

She bowed her head to pray

She said, "I'm sorry for the way I've been living my life

I know I've got to change, so from now on tonight"

 

Jesus, take the wheel

Take it from my hands

'Cause I can't do this on my own

I'm letting go

So give me one more chance

And save me from this road I'm on

 

Oh, Jesus, take the wheel

Oh, I'm letting go

So give me one more chance

Save me from this road I'm on

From this road I'm on

Jesus, take the wheel

Oh, take it, take it from me

 

Sung by Carrie Underwood

Written by Hillary Lindsey / Brett James / Gordy Sampson

No comments: