Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Take Jesus with you to work


I deeply appreciate a job well done, finished with the aim of being the best possible. One of my regrets in life (we all have them, don’t we) is the kind of student I was in my high school years. Too focused on just ‘getting grades’ I often just did what was necessary to get a “B” instead of giving the extra time to earn the “A” that was within my reach. With maturity came the realization that the real motivation for putting in effort, be it in school, at work, or in my home, was the joy of being my personal best for God’s glory. The reward offered by grades or money was secondary.  There is a real satisfaction to found in the knowledge that I have done my best, using my abilities and opportunities in a way that reflects commitment.  

The temptation to measure our work and/or accomplishments by ‘the numbers’ is always there for us, isn’t it? When we work for a title, or more money, or for some award it is quite possible to only enough to win approval. Even worse, we can become driven, not knowing the sense of contentment that comes from knowing who we are, what we are capable of doing, and being guided by a choice to serve well.   

This choice for excellence is a spiritual matter, for in our best effort we honor Christ, our Lord!

Paul, writing to the lowest rung of the society of his day, said this: “Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men,  because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.” (Ephesians 6:5-8)  What’s the principle? “Do your personal best, for the sake of Christ!”

So, let me ask you, do you take Jesus with you to work?  
Is your day to day life, your effort, a reflection of your status as God’s child, reflecting well on the One you claim as Savior and Lord?

I am both encouraged and sobered by the promise of His reward for the way I live; encouraged because it promises no effort is overlooked, sobered because He knows me inside out! "For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. It is written: ‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.’ So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God." (Romans 14:10-12, NIV) No one will steal the credit for your work before God. There will be no one to blame if you have failed to do your best with what God has given you; one coin, two sides.

The world in which we live is filled with people who learn how to play the game, who know how to look good. Our God is unimpressed by lengthy meetings that produce nothing, by 'puffed' reports that impress others but that hide scarce results. We need to know that God's work is our work!  Our Father has invested in us, loving us, saving us, gifting us. Now, how will we live?  It is a worthy question.

Here's a vivid metaphor about building a quality life. Take it with you today and pray to do ‘your utmost for His highest.’ (Chambers)
"No one can lay any other foundation than the one we already have—Jesus Christ. Now anyone who builds on that foundation may use gold, silver, jewels, wood, hay, or straw. But there is going to come a time of testing at the judgment day to see what kind of work each builder has done. Everyone’s work will be put through the fire to see whether or not it keeps its value. If the work survives the fire, that builder will receive a reward. 

But if the work is burned up, the builder will suffer great loss. The builders themselves will be saved, but like someone escaping through a wall of flames. Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? God will bring ruin upon anyone who ruins this temple. For God’s temple is holy, and you Christians are that temple." (1 Corinthians 3:10-17, NLT)

PS - This judgment is not about 'getting to Heaven.' That's a finished work, secured by the grace of Jesus Christ who granted us eternal life. This is about how we live for God each day.

What kind of temple are you building, my friend?

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Build My Life

Worthy of ev'ry song we could ever sing
Worthy of all the praise we could ever bring
Worthy of ev'ry breath we could ever breathe
We live for You

Jesus the name above ev'ry other name
Jesus the only one who could ever save
Worthy of ev'ry breath we could ever breathe
We live for You We live for You

Holy there is no one like You
There is none beside You
Open up my eyes in wonder and show me who You are
And fill me with Your heart
And lead me in Your love to those around me

I will build my life upon Your love
It is a firm foundation
I will put my trust in You alone
And I will not be shaken


Brett Younker | Karl Martin | Kirby Kaple | Matt Redman | Pat Barrett

© 2016 Kaple Music; Capitol CMG Genesis; Housefires Sounds; Said And Done Music; sixsteps Music; Thankyou Music; Vamos Publishing; worshiptogether.com songs; Martin, Karl Andrew; Bethel Music Publishing

No comments: