Monday, January 02, 2023

I speak "Jesus"


     

Day 2 of 2023 dawned with thoughts of ‘what’s next?’  For some, the future is a source of worry and fear.  For others it is a challenge, inviting ramped up efforts to control events. For still others, the thought of a New Year is reason for a reset, a renewed sense of hope.  Let me tell you what keeps me balanced and hopeful. Actually it’s not a ‘what’ but a ‘Who.’  My hope for this year, my guide for each day is Christ Jesus.

The 1st chapter of the Revelation records John’s vision of the Magnificent King. The words paint a picture of Christ not seen in the Gospels, one that strengthens faith in Him.

"When I turned to see who was speaking to me, I saw seven gold lampstands.
And standing in the middle of the lampstands was the Son of Man.
He was wearing a long robe with a gold sash across his chest.
His head and his hair were white like wool, as white as snow. And his eyes were bright like flames of fire.

His feet were as bright as bronze refined in a furnace, and his voice thundered like mighty ocean waves.

He held seven stars in his right hand, and a sharp two-edged sword came from his mouth.

And his face was as bright as the sun in all its brilliance.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead.

But he laid his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the living one who died. Look, I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave." (Revelation 1:12-18, NLT)

Is that too weird for you to comprehend? Do John’s words make sense to you?  Read them again and let your mind’s eye ‘see’ what John saw. He was giving us a glimpse of the Majestic King of Heaven to encourage our faith.  His first audience, the Christians who were facing intense persecution in the Roman Empire, needed to know that Jesus was able to care for them, that He was greater than the might of the Emperor, that they were secure in life and death. We may not be facing prison or death for our faith, but we do have challenges, great and small, that would distract us from discipleship, that would cause us to retreat from our eternal hope.  Jesus is Mighty!

John was not wasting adjectives or making up a story. He saw the Lord of Glory, a long robe speaking of His nobility, a golden sash signaling his priestly office.
He describes Him with white hair, not because He is old, but because that marked of wisdom. Jesus’ fiery eyes speak to his piercing insight!
His feet like bronze assure us that he can tread on his enemies and that voice – thundering like the waves that crash on the shore – is the voice of command authority!
No wonder John reveals that he was overcome. “I fell at His feet as dead!”  I love that little bit of personal truth. I, too, am awed and overcome by the vision.

But it is the final line that is best for with it He says, “It’s ALL under control!”  "Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave." (Revelation 1:17-18, NLT) The greatest threat, the ultimate ‘enemy’ is death and Jesus says, “I’m greater even than death, holding complete authority to grant eternal life!”

On this 2nd day of January, 2023, I encourage you take some time to be alone with God, the Holy Spirit, and your own thoughts. Afraid? Tell Him.  Trying desperately to establish control of chaos?  Confess that HE is Lord of all.  Wanting a steady hope that keeps you on track?  Renew your faith in the One who is the Majestic King of Glory.  Let Jesus be more than Savior; make Him Lord.

Turn your attention to the One who is “First and Last!” Take time out to re-focus, to trust His wisdom, to acknowledge that even when you are clueless – He knows it all.

Here’s a word from the Word. Receive it, believe it, live it! “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." (Psalm 40:1-3, NIV)   Happy New Year!

(Video of this blog at this link)

_______________

I Speak Jesus

I just want to speak the Name of Jesus

Over ev'ry heart and ev'ry mind

'Cause I know there is peace within Your presence

I speak Jesus

 

I just want to speak the Name of Jesus

'Til ev'ry dark addiction starts to break

Declaring there is hope and there is freedom

I speak Jesus

 

('Cause) Your Name is power

Your Name is healing

Your Name is life

Break ev'ry stronghold

Shine through the shadows

Burn like a fire

 

I just want to speak the Name of Jesus

Over fear and all anxiety

To ev'ry soul held captive by depression

I speak Jesus

 

Shout Jesus from the mountains

Jesus in the streets

Jesus in the darkness over ev'ry enemy

Jesus for my fam'ly

I speak the holy Name Jesus

 

Abby Benton | Carlene Prince | Dustin Smith | Jesse Reeves | Kristen Dutton | Raina Pratt

 

© 2019 Here Be Lions Publishing (Admin. by Integrity Music)

Integrity's Praise! Music (Admin. by Integrity Music)

BEC Worship (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)

Raina Pratt publishing designee (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)

Worship Coalition Songs (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)

 

CCLI License # 810055


No comments: