Friday, October 14, 2022

1440!

 

 

How do you regard the passing of time?  Some ‘kill time.’ Others waste it. Some invest it, some spend it. Recently I read this thought. Imagine someone agreed to deposit $1440 in your account every day with only condition being that you were required to use each dollar within that day. If any of it were leftover, that balance would be subtracted from the next day’s deposit.  I think most of us would find ways to use each dollar, even giving some away to keep the maximum income flowing our way. 

Now think of this - God gives each one of us 1440 minutes every day. They can be used, invested, spent, or given.  They cannot be hoarded nor kept for the future.

When Friday evening rolls around, will you have a sense of fulfillment, able to say, “Lord, thank you for the work, the worship, the way my days were used?” Or will you feel some sense of regret because you still have a list of undone tasks hanging over your head because you just fumbled and stumbled through each day? 

Monday morning decisions lay the ground work for fulfilled Fridays!

It’s called planning. Though now retired, with lesser responsibilities, I still think about the tasks of the week- organizing them as must do’s, should do’s, and could do’s.  Covey (7 Habits author) called it “beginning with the end in mind.” He said that we “begin each day, task, or project with a clear vision of your desired direction and destination, and then continue by flexing your proactive muscles to make things happen.”

Christians must keep in mind that each of will give an account for the way we used those 1440 minutes of the day to the Creator of time. Does that thought stress you out?  It need not because we have the Spirit living in us. Here’s the invitation - "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." (Galatians 5:25, NIV)  He has a plan, promises to empower, and gives us opportunities. We listen to His voice.    

Like Paul, if we have lived in humble obedience we will come to the end of this earthly journey full of hope, able to say - "The prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7-8, NLT)  

We live best when we are aware of time’s passing. 
Moses prayed "Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom." (Psalm 90:12, NLT) 
Paul urges us to "Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity." (Colossians 4:5, NLT) 

Before you decide to selfishly ‘kill time’ today or waste a day in self-indulgence, consider these words of Jesus. "Then the King will say to those on the right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ 

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?’ And the King will tell them, ‘I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’" (Matthew 25:34-40, NLT)  Could anything be better than the commendation of our Savior and Lord?

A word from the Word reminds us of the JOY of the faithful. Hear it, learn it, live it. “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’" (Matthew 25:21, NLT)

(Video of this blog at this link)

_______________

Build My Life

(Let this worship song speak to you today)

Worthy of ev’ry song we could ever sing

Worthy of all the praise we could ever bring

Worthy of ev’ry breath we could ever breathe

We live for You

 

Jesus the name above ev’ry other name

Jesus the only one who could ever save

Worthy of ev’ry breath we could ever breathe

We live for You

We live for You

 

Holy there is no one like You

There is none besides You

Open up my eyes in wonder and show me who You are

And fill me with Your heart

And lead me in Your love to those around me

 

I will build my life upon Your love

It is a firm foundation

I will put my trust in You alone

And I will not be shaken

 

Brett Younker | Karl Martin | Kirby Elizabeth Kaple | Matt Redman | Pat Barrett

© 2016 Martin, Karl Andrew (Admin. by Arkyard Music Services Limited)

Kaple Music (Admin. by Bethel Music Publishing)

Bethel Music Publishing

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: