Wednesday, March 16, 2022

I’ve got your 6.

 


I’ve got your 6.” The phrase means “I’m watching out for you!”  It came from fighter pilots in the first World War referring to the plane following them as being in the ‘6’ position, a reference to the face of a clock with 12 at the top and 6 at the bottom.  That was a protective position and the phrase evolved for use in combat situations for those who were covering another. 

Who is watching your back, caring for you?  Who’s got your 6?  I am blessed by friends and family I know I can count on to be my advocate, to stand up for me, to step in with encouragement.

Christian there is One who ALWAYS has our 6! We have a High Priest who is always praying for us!  While I sincerely appreciate those who tell me "I was praying for you today,”  nothing to that assurance and comfort I find in knowing that Jesus Christ is at the Father's right hand making a case for me, asking for mercy on my behalf, directing the Spirit to keep me on my feet when life is coming at me hard and fast. - "We have a great High Priest who has gone to heaven, Jesus the Son of God. Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him. This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it." (Hebrews 4:14-16, NLT)

In throne room of God, we have an Advocate – yes that is amazing - and it is true! "He is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens." (Hebrews 7:25-26, NIV)

John's Gospel records the final hours of Jesus' earthly ministry in greater detail than the other Gospels. The 17th chapter is a record of the prayer that Jesus prayed on behalf of His disciples and for Believers to this day. In those words, we hear His love.  I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. They do not belong to this world any more than I do. Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth." (John 17:14-17, NLT)

What He does not pray is as important to note as what He does ask on our behalf. He does not ask God to make life easy or to provide us an escape from the human experience.  Sometimes I pray that way asking to be relieved of responsibility or be given a place of lesser struggle. “God, let me outta here! Change this situation."  But Jesus prays that we are kept in the Father’s hand and preserved from spiritual destruction, that we will be full of the Spirit's life and distinct as the people of God in a dark world, and that we will understand God's word and will. And all the while He’s got your 6!

If you feel alone, or if you are facing a difficult day, remember this -

Jesus is praying for you!

He asks the best for you, not the easy!

 Pray like He prays; not for release, but for courage; not for an easier place, but for His glory shine through you as remain faithful to Him in your present situation.  Remember this. Our High Priest understands our needs for He was tempted and tested in all the ways we are. When you're wrestling with life and the will of God, remember He did, too. As He prayed in Gethsemane, under terrible pressure and in great anguish, He pleaded for another way, but eventually came 'round to surrender, "Not my will, Father, but Yours, be done!" So He understands when you're pressured, squeezed, stressed, broken, disappointed, distraught, confused, or afraid! He is praying for you.

The word from the Word - "God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never forsake you.” That is why we can say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper, so I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”" (Hebrews 13:5-6, NLT)

(Video of this blog at this link)

______________

Our Great Savior

Jesus what a friend for sinners
Jesus lover of my soul
Friends may fail me foes assail me
He my Saviour makes me whole

Hallelujah what a Saviour
Hallelujah what a friend
Saving helping keeping loving
He is with me to the end

Jesus what a strength in weakness
Let me hide myself in Him
Tempted tried and sometimes failing
He my strength my vict'ry wins

Jesus I do now receive Him
More than all in Him I find
He hath granted me forgiveness
I am His and He is mine

 

John Wilbur Chapman

  • Public Domain

No comments: