Friday, February 18, 2022

Jesus - enough for your situation?

Who among us has not thought at some point – “I just can’t do this.” Chronic illness can sap our physical strength as well as the will to live. A marriage that is without passion can feel like a life sentence. Maybe it’s your job that wears you down.  Or, it is could be a struggle inside of yourself with doubts or fear.  

 Just as a day full of sunshine can quickly turn to one darkened by a tempestuous thunderstorm, life can turn dark filled with hardship, difficulties, challenges, and tests!  What can we do when we go past tired to a fatigue that feels unending?

Paul’s letter we call Philippians is full of encouragement from a man who knew what tough times were! But, he never quit.  Though the up’s and down’s, he went on serving, loving, and hoping. How did he do it? There is a little phrase that lets us see the Source of his courage: "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:12-13, NIV)  Simply said, Paul declares – “Jesus is enough!”  You could say, “sufficient!”

I add my ‘amen’ to Paul’s declaration.  At the end of my strength, at the end of my determination, at the end of my abilities – Christ Jesus has kept me on my feet and ready to meet whatever comes my way.  I have known real fulfillment in my life and I have known deep disappointment. I have known great joy and deep sorrow. I have experienced failure and success.  And at the end of  it all –my life centers in Christ Jesus Who gives me hope, joy, and strength for each new day.

The open secret of the Christian life is found in making Him our hope and reason for being above all else.  If we would experience that sufficiency of Christ Jesus, He cannot just live in us for an hour on Sunday morning, our be a lucky charm for hard times, or a magical mantra for the hard days.  When we choose to live our life centered in Him, shaped by an eternal purpose, we will join His friends to say, as they said after He calmed the winds - "The disciples just sat there in awe. “Who is this?” they asked themselves. “Even the wind and waves obey him!”" (Matthew 8:27, NLT)

Prior to declaring the open secret of his joy, Paul wrote -
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice.

And the God of peace will be with you. I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
(Philippians 4:6-13, NIV)

How I love the interplay of Jesus’ power and our faith.  He is enough for all of life – the good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly, the bright, the dark – but we have to choose to walk in faith and to fill our minds with His truth.

Friend, look at the circumstances that you are facing and tell yourself, “Yes, I can!”   It is true - not because you are smart, rich, courageous, or lucky.  You can do all things through Christ who gives you strength because you are a child of God.   I love to talk with people who have lived through storms, who have a ‘testimony!’  They have credibility because they are not just talking about something they read, they are speaking from experience. 

Our word from the Word is the testimony of the same man who wrote of being content and knowing Christ’s sufficiency.  As he neared the end of his life, Paul looked back over it all without regrets, without complaint, full of hope.  "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7-8, NLT)  “I did it! Now, all that’s left is the awards ceremony!”

Christian, choose His strength today.
Invite Him to lead you through today.
You can do everything through him who gives you strength.

Yes, you can!

(Video of this blog at this link)

______________

Way Maker

 You are here moving in our midst
I worship You I worship You
You are here working in this place
I worship You I worship You

(You are) Way Maker Miracle Worker Promise Keeper
Light in the darkness my God that is who You are

You are here touching ev'ry heart
I worship You I worship You
You are here healing ev'ry heart
I worship You I worship You

You are here turning lives around
I worship You I worship You
You are here mending ev'ry heart
I worship You yeah I worship You Lord

That is who You are
That is who You are
That is who You are
That is who You are

Even when I don't see it You're working
Even when I don't feel it You're working
You never stop You never stop working
You never stop You never stop working

Osinachi Kalu Okoro Egbu

© 2016 Integrity Music Europe (Admin. by Integrity Music)

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: