Monday, April 12, 2021

You are Free to live!

 

History has some dark chapters doesn’t it? Hate, cruelty, selfishness, murder, war, bloodshed are too much a part of the record. What about your history?  Are there chapters you would like to erase?  I look back and remember, with a sigh, days for which I would love a ‘do over,’ but reality tells me that even with a second chance at it, I would never get it exactly right.  Why? Because in my humanity, I am prone to sin. And, so are you. We may avoid murder and mayhem, but Self is never far away.

Never the less, I do not live in guilt or condemnation. I am well aware of my yet to be perfected life. I am also confident in the gift of God’s grace, provided to us by the Savior. He invites us to live in the ‘glorious freedom of the children of God.’  (Romans 8.21)  I am realistic about the temptation around me and conscious of my failure but I know that Someone greater is at work in me, that because of Christ Jesus, I need no longer exist with fear or regret. This is the truth in which I live, by faith. “God has sent the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, and now you can call God your dear Father. (Abba) Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child.” (Galatians 4:6 NLT).  

 Those who are alive in the Spirit, through faith in Christ Jesus, can speak of sinfulness in the past tense. No, we are not yet perfected. But, the guilt of sin is removed completely!  "There was a time when some of you were just like that, but now your sins have been washed away, and you have been set apart for God. You have been made right with God because of what the Lord Jesus Christ and the Spirit of our God have done for you." (1 Corinthians 6:11, NLT)

Because of Jesus, we are able to choose to live nobly, to serve God, and to defeat dark depravity.  “But, I am tempted and I fail,” you say. I do, too. The conflict of Self and the Spirit is very much alive in us even after coming to faith in Christ. However, unlike our “Before Christ” days, now we know what is right and good.  We can choose to grow in grace, becoming useful to God.

We are, by His declaration, no longer slaves to sin but rather servants of God privileged to know and live in the power of the Spirit. What a difference! All the church work and religious effort in the world can replace the amazing joy of sharing in God’s glory, released from shame and guilt to live freely.  In the century that followed Jesus’ time here on the earth, Christians traveled to the far corners of the depraved, cruel, ugly world that was the Roman Empire. They met prostitution, slavery, injustice, and poverty with acts of love. They served the least, the lost, the broken, the powerless.  The Spirit working through them brought light and life, hope and joy, to millions.  They were known for their compassion.  Were they applauded and admired? Not by those in power!  The sinful recognized the threat of the Gospel of Christ and killed Christians by the thousands in a vain attempt to put out the Light. But, history testifies to the power of the Jesus message.  Christians who were free to serve changed the world.

Christian, our world waits for the beautiful message of freedom from sin. 

Let’s not just tell, let’s show the way to be free to love, free to serve, free from slavery to sin, Self, and Satan.

Will you reach out to our Abba, take your freedom, and then pray for the power to live in a way that you bring liberty and life to others? 

Like Jesus you will encounter evil and those enslaved will hate you just as they hated Him. But remember, “if we share in His suffering… we will also share in His glory.”   Let’s go change the world, one life at a time.

 Here is a word from the Word …  "So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law." (Galatians 5:1, NLT)  "For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love." (Galatians 5:13, NLT)  "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves." (Galatians 5:16, NLT)  "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!" (Galatians 5:22-23, NLT)

 

Oh, the glorious freedom of the children of God.
__________

And Can It Be (Amazing Love How Can It Be)

And can it be that I should gain

An interest in the Savior's blood

Died He for me who caused His pain

For me who Him to death pursued

Amazing love how can it be

That Thou my God shouldst die for me

Amazing love how can it be

That Thou my God shouldst die for me

 

He left His Father's throne above

So free so infinite His grace

Emptied Himself of all but love

And bled for Adam's helpless race

'Tis mercy all immense and free

For O my God it found out me

'Tis mercy all immense and free

For O my God it found out me

 

No condemnation now I dread

Jesus and all in Him is mine

Alive in Him my living Head

And clothed in righteousness divine

Bold I approach th'eternal throne

And claim the crown through Christ my own

Bold I approach th'eternal throne

And claim the crown through Christ my own

 

 

Charles Wesley

© Words: Public Domain

No comments: