Thursday, December 17, 2020

God’s Timing

 


Time matters to me.  I keep a schedule, show up for appointments, and finish projects on time. Knowing how to meet deadlines, keep appointments, and pay bills on time are important IF a person wants a life that works. We are a ‘time conscious’ culture.  An article in Discover, described some of the habits of timely people.

1. When it’s time to get up, they get up. 

2. They plan breakfast at dinner.

3. They end tasks on time.

4. They recognize patterns, and correct them.

5. They embrace downtime.

6. They’re immune to “Just One More Thing” syndrome.

7. They schedule built-in overflow time.

8.  They’ve mastered the skill of calculation.

9. They know when they do their best work.

By that list, I must be a clock. How did you do?   Let’s get to my spiritual thought today.

A phrase in Galatians fascinates me. Paul speaks of Jesus coming and connects timeliness with our eternal (timeless) God!  "But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons." (Galatians 4:5, KJV)   In another passage, he says it this way: "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly." (Romans 5:6, NIV)

God was/is ‘on time.’  After eons of time, a blink of an eye in His eternal existence, so to speak, He sent His Son. Why then, why not earlier or later?

That answer is hidden in the mind of God. Only He knows why He chose to send the Savior to this world about 2,000 years ago, but it was, the ‘fullness,’ the complete and perfect, time. It was the ‘right time.’

And today is our time to receive His gift!  Not tomorrow, but now.  "As God’s fellow workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation." (2 Corinthians 6:1-2, NIV) 

Why would you wait to accept the Lord as your Savior?  Think He’ll cramp your style? Yes, He will change your life, but for the better. The guilt of the past will be gone, replaced by the acceptance known by those who let Jesus take away the shame! The hopelessness of yesterday is replaced with His promises that extend into ‘forever!’ The sense of futility, life’s emptiness, is erased with an invitation to a life of purpose in serving God. Why wait?

Oh yes, there will be things that happen to you, as they have to me, and you will question His timing. Five years ago, He decided that Bev’s earthly life was complete and took her home on December 29.  I chose to trust His wisdom, though it was a struggle. Faith tells me He knows ‘the right time.’ Though I am convinced of this, I still feel grief, but not despair.  You may be wondering about some ‘why’ in your life, something that seems untimely.  He reminds us that “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9, NIV)  

Will you trust His timing?
Will you humble yourself before Him and let God, be God
There’s peace to be found in that acceptance.

Here is a word from the Word.
“Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
“For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?”

“Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?”
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Celebrate this with worship - when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son.

_____________

Go Tell It On The Mountain

(Zac Williams- Enjoy!)

Go tell it on the mountain

Over the hills and ev'rywhere

Go tell it on the mountain

That Jesus Christ is born

 

The shepherds feared and trembled

When lo above the earth

Rang out the angel chorus

That hailed the Savior's birth

Down in a lowly manger

The humble Christ was born

And God sent us salvation

That blessed Christmas morn

 

When I was a seeker

I sought both night and day

I asked the LORD to help me

He showed me the way

He made me a watchman

Upon the city wall

And if I am a Christian

I am the least of all

 

John W. Work Jr.

© Words: Public Domain 

No comments: