Friday, February 07, 2020

Speak now, Jesus


A couple of nights ago, I restlessly tossed, unable to fall asleep. Who knows exactly why that happens? Maybe too much caffeine, too late in the day? Perhaps too many concerns about life piling up? As I lay there in the dark around 1 am, the thoughts began to tumble, a jumble of grief, worries, problems - real and imagined - all magnified by fatigue and the dark of night. 

Knowing that God has given me authority over my thoughts and that there is the promise of His Presence, I prayed for the Spirit to quiet my mind, to fill my heart with His Presence. Taking a cue from the story in Acts when Paul and Silas sang at midnight in that prison, I offered songs of worship… and finally feel asleep.

Matthew tells us about panic moments on the Sea of Galilee when he and the other disciples learned about the power of Jesus. "Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!” (Matthew 8:23-27, NIV)

When you are feeling the rising sense that life is out of control, when you realize that you cannot control that person, that sickness, that situation that appears to be threatening – turn to Jesus! The disciples did not present a request that was carefully worded or that obliquely sought help. They shouted over the storm – “Lord, save us!” Apparently their cry was motivated more by panic that faith, given Jesus’ first response that noted that their faith was so small that panic had overtaken them.

But, He spoke to the storm and their faith grew deeper as they saw clearly that He is the Lord. Those men in that little boat that day knew the most important thing – that Jesus was in the boat with them. May we remember that He promises “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”  What comes from that assurance? “So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6, NIV)

My own experience as a Christian is that sometimes He stills the storm so that peace returns and sometimes He stills my heart so I can ride it out. Regardless, I have learned to trust Him; not perfectly as my restless night shows, but with an ever growing faith. Will you trust Him today? Will you ask Him to speak to your heart, to reveal His mastery of it all?  

Here is a word from the Word. Join David in your declaration of dependence! "My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved." (Psalm 62:4-6, NKJV)
__________



In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light my strength my song
This Cornerstone this solid Ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love what depths of peace
When fears are stilled when strivings cease
My Comforter my All in All
Here in the peace of Christ, I stand

No guilt in life no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

Keith Getty | Stuart Townend
© 2001 Thankyou Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: