Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Insiders, chosen



I generally loved school except for physical education class. Not being athletic, lacking the skills for most sports, I knew that when it was time to pick teams, I would be standing alone at the end of the process. The captains first selected their friends and then those with greater ability. Finally, when no one else was left, one of them would call my name – “Scott,” without enthusiasm. It was as sad as it sounds. The memory brings a wry smile today and a greater appreciation for the need to include everyone, to take notice of those that others devalue.

You need never feel left out, without value, or overlooked! Reflect on what Jesus said to His disciples. "I no longer call you servants, because a master doesn’t confide in his servants. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. I command you to love each other." (John 15:15-17, NLT)  

The Son of God does not value us just for our usefulness or function. He says that we are friends, not servants. Oh yes, we do serve Him but not because we are compelled to do so by fear. We are invited to KNOW Him, love Him, and be included in His plans. Pride has no place, He reminds us, because we did not earn this right, nor did we come to some realization because of superior intelligence or insight. He chose to make Himself know to us, coming to find us, ‘while we were still sinners.’  Beyond that, He says that He has given us real purpose, to do things that have eternal value, a participant in the work of God in this world.  It gets better!  And, He has given us the right to use His name in prayer, giving us access to the Presence of God when we pray.

It is not just children who can sing “Yes, Jesus loves me!”  He loves me and you. Each of us needs to know this, settling securely into the promise, so that in a world that demeans, devalues, uses, abuses, or ignores those who somehow miss out on “desirable” qualities, we will not become miserable and mean in response. When we know we are chosen, dearly beloved children of the Father, we will stop striving, pushing for the front of the line, trying desperately to carve out a place for ourselves. Instead, we can be exactly who God wants us to be, caring little for the approval and/or acceptable of others.

The enemy of God and good will conspire to cause you to feel ‘left out’ and unloved. Refuse his lie. Meditate in the Word, thank God for the amazing love of Christ Jesus, that is not just for the world in general, but for YOU specifically. Yes, the One who knows you best, loves you most.  You are beloved, desired, sought out – chosen to receive His love.

Here is a word from the Word. Here we learn of the responsibility that comes with being the Father’s beloved child.  May we who are loved, learn to love well.  "As God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." (Colossians 3:12-14, NIV)
________


Who am I that the highest King
Would welcome me
I was lost but He brought me in
Oh His love for me
Oh His love for me

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

Free at last
He has ransomed me
His grace runs deep
While I was a slave to sin
Jesus died for me
Yes He died for me

In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

I am chosen not forsaken
I am who You say I am
You are for me not against me
I am who You say I am

(Oh) (Yes) I am who You say I am

Ben Fielding | Reuben Morgan
© 2017 Hillsong Music Publishing Australia (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: