Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Known and Loved!




Ever feel invisible, unseen, unknown?  Sometimes we feel like a gear in a vast machine, valued only for what we do, not who we are. When someone takes time to actually listen, remembers our name – it can make us cry!  We push through life, driven by responsibilities and we can forget that person alongside of us might be struggling to hang on through grief, or feeling lost and overwhelmed. Perhaps you feel as if you are sliding out of view because of aging, illness, or disability, and nobody seems to really see you, to care if you’re there, to engage with you. You want to scream, “Hey. I count. See me!”

There is One who does. His name isEl Roi, The God who sees.”

In Genesis 16 we are told the story of a person who became invisible, used, then tossed aside. Her name? Hagar. She was a slave who served Sarah, Abraham’s wife. The couple was childless and desperate, so they decided to ‘help God’ fulfill His promise of an heir. As was the custom of the time, Sarah used Hagar as a surrogate, giving her to her husband in the hope that she would become pregnant, which she did. The younger woman, having produced a male son for the patriarch, felt her status improved but Sarah felt only jealousy and responded with cruel abuse. She went to her husband and demanded that the woman be thrown out, leaving her to a life of misery as she tried to survive. The servant girl was disposable, an inconvenient reminder of faithlessness. The Bible says, “Abram replied, "Since she is your servant, you may deal with her as you see fit." So Sarai treated her harshly, and Hagar ran away. The angel of the Lord found Hagar beside a desert spring along the road to Shur... Thereafter, Hagar referred to the Lord, who had spoken to her, as "the God who sees me, (El Roi) for she said, "I have seen the One who sees me!" - Genesis 16:7,13 NLT

"The God who sees me!"  Do you know that HE knows YOU? Yes, He does. He sees right into your most secret places. He knows your dreams, your hopes, your sins, your past, and your future. He loves YOU, not just for what you can do for Him, but because you exist.

In our kid’s ministry we sing a song that says -
“You don't have to be the fastest, strongest;
you don't have to hold your breath the longest.
You don't have to be a star, it doesn't matter who you are!
Raise your hands and repeat after me,
“You can trust God definitely, you can trust God definitely.”
  
And it is a truth that will alter your life. The Gospels are not written about Jesus in palaces, speaking with kings. He lived among the common, the broken, the cast-offs – with genuine love. He knows your name, your heart, your need. Let Him love you. Then, let that love spill over onto those who are invisible, a deep concern for people regardless of their usefulness or ‘value’ in your plans.

Our God is truly El Roi, the God who sees. "The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good." (Proverbs 15:3, NIV)

Here’s a comforting word from the Word. May it bring comfort to you today as you deepen your faith in ‘the God who sees.’
"O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord. … even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are the same to you. … "Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life."  (Psalm 139:1-4, 12, 24, NLT)
_________

You, You, You
(rejoice with the children’s song!)

You, You, You,
You can trust God
You can take him at his word
and give him your heart

You, You, You,
You can trust God
it doesn't matter who you are
You can trust God

You don't have to be the fastest, strongest
you don't have to hold your breath the longest
You don't have to be a star
it doesn't matter who you are
Raise your hands and repeat after me
You can trust God definitely

You, You, You,
You can trust God
You can take him at His word
and give Him your heart
You, You, You,
You can trust God
it doesn't matter who you are
You can trust God

Group Publishing

No comments: