Monday, April 15, 2019

All that God has planned




One of the innovations of our time that I find incredibly useful is the GPS guidance system included with my phone!  “Google, give me driving directions to … “  and the system will take me along the fastest route to my destination;  IF I pay attention to it. A few times I have turned down the volume and realized, too late, that I missed a turn. I’ll still get where I am going, but a new route is required, longer and slower. 

Do you know that God, the Holy Spirit, desires to guide you, that He will lead you through life?  But, if we are not paying attention, or worse, when we think we know better - we can miss out on His plan.

Jesus, at the beginning of what we call “Holy Week,” lamented a missed opportunity brought on by spiritual deafness, an inability to hear the voice of God. Luke says, "As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes. The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side. They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.” (Luke 19:41-44, NIV)  40 years later Jerusalem was destroyed, leveled by Rome, in response to a rebellion.  Jesus wept, knowing His people were missing their Savior, their peace that He brought.

What opportunities does God have prepared for you?
How is He inviting you to change course, to find grace, to discover new purpose?
Are you able to discern the leading of the Spirit?

We need not be rebellious or engaged in some terrible evil to miss out on Gods’ best.  His guidance can be lost if our minds are pre-occupied with lesser things. The urgent things will squeeze out the important ones.  

Today, as we start the week that will end with celebration of the Resurrection, let’s set time aside for focused listening.  Each day make quiet time for contemplative prayer; not the usual prayers that are filled with our praise and/or words, but a silent “Here I am, I am listening, Lord” kind of praying. Take a pen and paper with you to prayer and jot down Scripture that comes to mind, things that the Spirit impresses on you.  What joy we find when we walk with Him.

Here is a word from the Word. I turn often to this passage for it reminds me of the amazing joy that I can find in Him. "And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God’s marvelous love. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is.  

May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

Now glory be to God! By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope. May he be given glory in the church and in Christ Jesus forever and ever through endless ages. Amen
." (Ephesians 3:17-21, NLT)
_______

Abba, as I begin this ‘holy week,’ I present my heart to You.
Help me to sort through the urgent things,
To make the important choice to seek You, to love You, to walk in step with You.

As I find the opportunities prepared by you for me,
may my responses give You glory,
reflecting the love of Jesus to my world,
the peace of the Spirit governing my thoughts.

As I come to Easter Sunday morning, I pray that I will be able
to join with others in your holy Church, rejoicing in the eternal life
that is ours through Christ our Lord.’

Amen .

No comments: