Friday, May 25, 2018

On our way ... Home!


In my family, ‘home’ was important. When Bev and I became a family, we tried to make our house a ‘home’ for our kids as well.  The goal is to create a welcoming, safe, nurturing place. As a teen, I loved going home. I knew Mom would have a great meal prepared for supper, that there would be affection. I still love to go  to my  ‘home.’ Yes, it’s a lot different since Bev went to her eternal home. I miss her welcome, our time together, the beauty she brought to our ‘castle,’ but none the less - after a day full of conversations and work, I love to kick off my boots, grab a glass of ice tea, and flop down in my place.

Every child of God has a home waiting, a place prepared. Jesus teaches that this fact keeps us from being fearful and unsteady. On the night of the Last Supper, when He was telling His disciples that He was leaving them, that the Holy Spirit would come to be their Counselor, He also said - “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." (John 14:1-3, NIV)  

Jesus referenced ‘the Father’s house.’  Those first hearers heard it differently than we do. Most of them lived in multi-generational settings. When a son was getting married, there was an addition made to the family place to which he would bring his bride. The family was more important than the individual.  There was a sense of belonging that gave identity and security.  God, our Father, tells us that He has prepared for us to ‘come home,’ where we will be secure forever!

There are a lot of largely baseless ideas about heaven that persist, fanciful inventions of our imaginations based on snippets of Bible passages. The ONE enduring fact is that Heaven is HOME. The second fact is that we are invited to live there eternally, not because we earn a place, but because Jesus gives us His welcome.

Are you ready to go home? Nobody likes to talk about life’s end and so that question is hard to ask and answer. And yet, we are mortal and a moment will come when this journey will end. What’s your destination? If you know Christ Jesus as Savior, by faith, then there is a title deed on a Heavenly Home, a place prepared. It is my prayer that this will be your great and enduring hope that eclipses every earthly joy and steadies you through every sorrow.

Here is a word from the Word. Let it help you to anticipate the Home that waits.

“We have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints— the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven.” (Col 1:4-5)

"Friends, this world is not your home, so don’t make yourselves cozy in it. Don’t indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they’ll be won over to God’s side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives." (1 Peter 2:11-12, The Message)

______________


This world is not what it was meant to be
All this pain all this suffering
There's a better place waiting for me
In heaven

Ev'ry tear will be wiped away
Ev'ry sorrow and sin erased
We'll dance on seas of amazing grace
In heaven in heaven
I'm goin'

Home where the streets are golden
Ev'ry chain is broken
Oh I wanna go oh I wanna go
Home where ev'ry fear is gone I'm in Your open arms
Where I belong
(Home)

Lay down my burdens I lay down my past
I run to Jesus no turning back
Thank God Almighty I'll be free at last
In heaven in heaven
I'm goin'

Blinded eyes will fin'lly see
The dead will rise on the shores of eternity
The trump will sound the angels will sing
Hallelujah hallelujah
I am goin'

Where I belong
I'm goin' home
I'm goin' home
I'm on my way home
I'm goin' home

Chris Tomlin | Ed Cash | Scott Cash
© 2016 S. D. G. Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Sixsteps Songs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Worship Together Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Alletrop Music (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)
McTyeire Music (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: