Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Be a happier Christian


Ever heard of SAD?  Dr. Normal Rosenthal at Georgetown University described the ‘winter blues’ that some endure with a name - Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD.  A percentage of people who live in northern climates report that their feelings of sadness and hopelessness increase as the days become shorter, when they spend more time away from the sun because of the winter weather. Many respond positively to ‘light therapy.’ The level of the chemical in our brains that help us to feel positive, serotonin, increases with exposure to sunlight for even a few minutes each day regardless of warm or cold.

On Sunday evening I walked out onto the deck at my house around 8 PM and it was still light!  It is 6 am and the light of day has arrived. From December to June the day lengthens ever so slowly, and with the light, comes life and warmth in my world. Longer days bring a boost to my emotions and increased productivity for me. What about you?

Let me ask you a pointed question today. Are you living in the Light?  
Is your life open to the Presence of the Spirit?
Do you hide from the Lord, or throw open your heart and mind to Him each day? 

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12, NIV)  Christian, you need not stumble through life day after day. You can leave the fear that comes with the dark behind. The Son has come! Matthew quoted preacher Isaiah, describing what happened when Jesus came. "The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up." (Matthew 4:16, KJV)

Do you want to be a happier Christian?  Here is the way. Walk in the Light. How?

Start your day with prayer, inviting God’s Spirit.
Fill your home with praise, with songs of worship.
Choose love instead of hate.
Forgive those who step on your toes; even those who hurt you, by giving the Lord your pain! 
Confess your failures and accept His love, that covers all our sins.  
Follow Jesus – today and each day.

Just as the longer days awaken the earth, in much the same way that the sunlight triggers a positive mood, the Light of Jesus will make life richer, fuller, productive.  Believe it!

Here is a word from the Word. Hear the challenge, embrace the promise.
"For you are all children of the light and of the day; we don’t belong to darkness and night. So be on your guard, not asleep like the others.
Stay alert and be clearheaded. Night is the time when people sleep and drinkers get drunk.
But let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love,
and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.
For God chose to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out his anger on us.
Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever.
So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing."

(1 Thessalonians 5:5-11, NLT)
___________

Here I Am To Worship
(worship with this link)

Light of the world
You stepped down into darkness
Opened my eyes let me see
Beauty that made
This heart adore You
Hope of a life spent with You

So here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that You're my God
And You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy
Altogether wonderful to me

King of all days
Oh so highly exalted
Glorious in heaven above
Humbly You came
To the earth You created
All for love's sake became poor

And I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross
And I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross

Tim Hughes
© 2000 Thankyou Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: