Wednesday, October 11, 2017

This crazy, mixed-up thing called Life – and God’s invitation!




Sometimes we come to the proverbial fork in the road.  A choice must be made and both have advantages, both are acceptable, both will require something of us, though the demands will be different. That is my place today.  It is there and it is as if I am standing, pondering, wondering, waiting. I imagine that I feel something of what a first time sky-diver feels as she stand at the door of the plane about to jump into the air, will the chute open? What happens when she leaves ‘safety?’  What I must remember, consciously bringing this to mind, no matter which way I go, I am free falling into the arms of God! The life of faith in one sense is always uncertain and yet it is ultimately the most secure! "The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see." (Hebrews 11:1, The Message)


Our very Gospel pivots on faith – will we trust the promise of God’s grace or continue in our own religious works?
Our security rests on faith – will we attempt to create wealth and relationships that make us feel secure or will we live with our hope resting on the Rock, secured by His Word?

True faith is never static. The faith that led us yesterday must be renewed with a faith matched to the challenges of this day.  It is not that we must ‘work up’ a new belief or try for some new kind of assurance. Just like He provided manna for the people of Israel in the wilderness, He provides us with faith for each new day. However, it is up to you and me whether we will choose to accept it with obedience. "The righteousness of God (is) revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." (Romans 1:17, KJV)

Real faith does not exempt one from feeling real fear
! Those who engage in extreme sports where they risk their lives, do so with full faith in their skills and equipment, yet they also feel fear. Curiously they love facing fear and the exhilaration that comes from overcoming it. When they reach the summit, they may be near collapse with exhaustion, but they also feel triumph.

 

Daniel is an inspiration for those of us who are challenged by life, who must walk on in faith.  He and his friends were taken captive when the Babylonians conquered Jerusalem. Led, mostly like in chains, over hundreds of miles from their home into an alien culture, they were immediately faced with the challenge of onto their faith in the Lord or being assimilated into the religion and culture of Assyria. The safe choice was to ‘go along to get along.’ The faith choice was to trust the Lord. They chose the Lord and He gave them want they needed.



The megalomaniac king decided that he would set up a giant image of himself and require all of his administrators to give worshipful homage to it or face a fiery death. These men could not bow to an idol and keep their faith intact. Did they feel fear? Judge for yourself as you read their response to the king’s demand. “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. But even if he doesn’t, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.” (Daniel 3:16-18, NLT) Do not miss that phrase – ‘even if He doesn’t!’ They fully recognized that their choice could bring them death and they were willing to make the faith choice anyway!
 

Are you facing a choice of faith today?
 
Don’t confuse your fear and/or uncertainty with faithlessness. Faith, by definition, leads us from the visible, the known, the secure, the comfortable and into the realm of the Spirit, where we are led towards what is yet a promise.  Commit yourself to the faith way, He will meet you there. When the summit is reached, you may be exhausted, but you will be able to say: "I’ve run hard right to the finish, believed all the way. All that’s left now is the shouting—God’s applause! Depend on it, he’s an honest judge. He’ll do right not only by me, but by everyone eager for his coming." (2 Timothy 4:7-8, The Message)



Here is a word from the Word. May it be the wind that catches us as we leap into the unknown. "And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him." (Hebrews 11:6, NLT)
_______________



(listen at this link)

They say sometimes you win some

Sometimes you lose some

And right now, right now I'm losing bad

I've stood on this stage night after night

Reminding the broken it'll be alright

But right now, oh right now I just can't


It's easy to sing

When there's nothing to bring me down

But what will I say

When I'm held to the flame

Like I am right now



I know You're able and I know You can

Save through the fire with Your mighty hand

But even if You don't

My hope is You alone



They say it only takes a little faith

To move a mountain

Well good thing

A little faith is all I have, right now

But God, when You choose

To leave mountains unmovable

Oh give me the strength to be able to sing

It is well with my soul



I know You're able and I know You can

Save through the fire with Your mighty hand

But even if You don't

My hope is You alone



I know the sorrow, and I know the hurt

Would all go away if You'd just say the word

But even if You don't

My hope is You alone

You've been faithful, You've been good



All of my days

Jesus, I will cling to You

Come what may

‘Cause I know You're able

I know You can



I know You're able and I know You can

Save through the fire with Your mighty hand

But even if You don't

My hope is You alone



I know the sorrow, I know the hurt

Would all go away if You'd just say the word

But even if You don't

My hope is You alone

It is well with my soul

It is well, it is well with my soul



Songwriters: Bart Marshall Millard / Benjamin Glover / Crystal Lewis / David Arthur Garcia / Tim Timmons

© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Music Services, Inc

No comments: