Thursday, February 23, 2017

Posers!





In my digital files I have two kinds of pictures- candid ones and posed frames.  In one you see an authentic representation of the situation. The faces are not reshaped with forced smiles. You can catch angst or big laughs or irritation or frowns. In the posed ones, you can almost hear the picture taker saying, “Now everybody smile. 1, 2, 3!”  There is a place for those formal portraits, but in my family album I much prefer those candid shots that let me really feel the moment.

In his final letter to Pastor Timothy, Paul talked about people who would come into the church there in Ephesus who were posers! They would learn the language of Christianity and be able, from time to time, to strike a pose to appear to be the ‘real’ thing, but their reality was something entirely different. Paul uses this telling line about their ‘spirituality.’ "They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!" (2 Timothy 3:5, NLT)  Those pseudo-Christians were not changed by the Power of the Holy Spirit from the inside out and therefore they were, in the candid moments, still "heartless, and hateful. Their words will be cruel, and they will have no self-control or pity.They will be sneaky, reckless, and puffed up with pride. Instead of loving God, they will love pleasure." (2 Timothy 3:3-4 CEV)

Paul invites Timothy to consider his bona fides. "You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them." (2 Timothy 3:10-12, NIV)  Paul says, in so many words, “Tim, I’m no poser! Just consider my general behavior.  I’ve been through some rough times but Jesus has held onto me as I held onto Him.”

Friend, does your claim to discipleship hold up in the candid moments?
When you are disappointed, frustrated, under pressure, short on cash, uncertain – does your faith shine brightly still?  
Is Jesus Lord of all for you personally?

Talk is cheap, as we say. It is the daily walk with God that matters most.  That does not mean we must be flawless. If that were possible, we would not need the Savior or His grace.  But, we do need to find ourselves humbly before Him, each day, ‘keeping step with the Spirit’ and responsive to His call to surrender Self and embrace the way of Christ. He will gradually transform us, inside out, creating authentic faith that shows even in the candid snapshots that others see.

Don’t slip into the trap of being a poser, a pseudo-Christian. Pray to be real. Invite others, not pridefully, but because you are authentic, to follow you as you follow Christ Jesus.  Here is a word from the Word. “Fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.”  The Message, Romans 12:2

God, make it true of each us. Shine bright through us. Amen. 
_____________

King Of My Heart  (listen at this link)

Let the King of my heart
Be the mountain where I run
The fountain I drink from
Oh He is my song
Let the King of my heart
Be the shadow where I hide
The ransom for my life
Oh He is my song

You are good good oh
You are good good oh
You are good good oh
You are good good oh

Let the King of my heart
Be the wind inside my sails
The anchor in the waves
Oh He is my song
Let the King of my heart
Be the fire inside my veins
The echo of my days
Oh He is my song

You're never gonna let
Never gonna let me down
You're never gonna let
Never gonna let me down
You're never gonna let
Never gonna let me down
You're never gonna let
Never gonna let me down

When the night is holding on to me
God is holding on
When the night is holding on to me
God is holding on

John Mark McMillan | Sarah McMillan
© Meaux Jeaux Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Raucous Ruckus Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
McMillan, Sarah
CCLI License # 810055

Faith Discovery Church

No comments: