Monday, August 29, 2016

I’ll hold open the door for you



She was following me slowly using a cane, so I slowed down knowing that the entry could be a challenge for her. I pulled open the door for her, standing to one side; my actions were a wordless invitation, “Come on in.”  She looked at me and smiled. I nodded and followed her into the building. It was a simple moment... one of those little human interactions that enrich our lives.  
When I was a young man in a critical season of life, a man saw that I had come up against an obstacle. I was unsure of how to go ahead, feeling God’s call, but stymied by circumstances created in part by my own lack of wisdom and by men in authority who were intent on blocking my way. Dave saw past my youthfulness, my inexperience, my brash self-confidence, and he invited me ‘in.’  He held open a door of ministry opportunity, offering encouragement and correction, and I walked into the vocation to which I have given my life. 
I love this hope-filled passage in the Word:  “This is the message from the one who is holy and true, the one who has the key of David. What he opens, no one can close; and what he closes, no one can open: “I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can close. You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me." (Revelation 3:7-8, NLT)  Jesus has opportunities for you, for me, today! He is holding open doors and inviting us to ‘Come on in.”  We can enter into a place of forgiveness, experiencing restoration of the relationship with our Abba.  We can enter into a place where He strengthens, a place where He feeds us. We can enter into a place of service that produces life and wholeness for others, because we are filled with the Spirit. In short, He offers to "empower" us.
Empowered people are invited to move head, provided with resources, given an open door!  Those who have privilege, who enjoy status, who hold an office best use those things not by carving out a place for themselves, but by using what they have to help others climb the ladder of success.  Empowering others is just helping by holding open the door!
Disciple, God doesn't just point us in the right direction and hope we make it.  He empowers us. Paul, describing his efforts to empower others, says,  "I work and struggle so hard, depending on Christ’s mighty power that works within me." (Colossians 1:29, NLT)   Did you note the interplay of empowerment and responsibility?  His willingness to work hard is coupled with Christ's mighty power.  The apostle accomplished amazing and wonderful things over 30 years of ministry in the Roman Empire.  He changed history!   He couldn't have done it without the Spirit's power, but God needed his mind, his hands and feet, and his voice. 
On this Monday morning, the Spirit is saying to us – “I have set before you an open door.”  If we stand there, waiting for Him to 'just do it;’ if we hope that some great thing will be done without any blood, sweat, or tears shed on your part, we will miss the opportunity. Others will outrun and out-perform us, while we are still standing outside.  Walk in! In faith, move on. All the while, pray fervently for the wisdom of God, the empowering Presence of the Holy Spirit in you and through you.  Expect and engage.  God says that He will create results that will far exceed what you even imagined to be possible.  He "is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." (Ephesians 3:20, NIV)
Need to beat a habit that hinders your holiness?  God empowers you!
Want to live as a person whose daily life honors Christ?  God empowers you!
Trying to love a miserable person?  God empowers you!
Need to forgive someone but find it so hard to get over your resentment?  God empowers you!
Called to be a parent raising Godly kids in a culture so hostile to spiritual things?  God empowers you!
A student headed into school again and wondering if you can remain faithful to Him? God empowers you!
So, here is a word from the Word. "Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." (Colossians 3:16-17, NLT)
_________
Jesus Loves Me
I was lost I was in chainsThe world had a hold of meMy heart was a stone I was covered in shameWhen He came for me
 I couldn't run couldn't run from His presenceI couldn't run couldn't run from His arms 
Jesus He loves meHe loves me He is for meJesus how can it beHe loves me He is for me
 It was a fire deep in my soulI'll never be the sameI stepped out of the dark and into the lightWhen He called my name
 He holds the stars and He holds my heartWith healing hands that bear the scarsThe rugged cross where He died for meMy only hope my ev'rything
 Jesus He loves meHe loves me ohJesus how can it beHe loves me He is for me
 He loves me He loves meHe loves me He is for meMy God it's amazing ohJesus loves me
Ben Glover | Chris Tomlin | Reuben Morgan © 2014 9t One Songs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing) Ariose Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

_________

No comments: