Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Blind Spot!



As I prepared to change lanes, I heard a horn sound a warning. After I took a second look to my left, I saw another car just behind my vehicle. Though I had checked my mirror, it had remained invisible, in a ‘blind spot.’ As the driver passed by, I waved a friendly greeting hoping he understood that I was thankful for his vigilance that kept us from colliding.

We have ‘blind spots’ in other areas of life, too. We fail to see a trend developing in our marriage that could prove destructive if we fail to alter our ways.  We miss behavioral changes in our kids until there is a serious issue that requires much more effort to correct.  Spiritual apathy creeps up on us, but we are unaware until we realize we are no longer praying, worshipping, hungry for the Presence of God.  David knew the danger of these kinds of blind spots and he prayed - "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life." (Psalm 139:23-24, NLT) What a prayer! “Examine my thoughts. Point out things that offend. Lead me!”

Life is busy, responsibilities multiply, distractions come at us by the thousands- really. That is why we need, more than ever, to make time with the Lord a priority choice. On a daily basis, and preferably not when we are drifting off to sleep, we need to quiet our mind and heart in prayerful reflection, so that we can hear the Spirit’s invitation. It demands more than a moment, more than a hurried prayer. In that place, where we talk with Him and listen, He shows us our heart.  

People wonder why Sunday worship is so important. “Pastor, I can meet God at the beach, in the woods, on the golf course.” Well, of course, you can. He is everywhere. But, He directs us to gather together for worship that pulls us out of our own space, to be part of a community of Christians that helps to keep us from falling victim to some tragic thing that comes at us from a blind spot. As we approach the Lord’s Table, it is a time to go deep, to think, to respond.  Paul says, "Anyone who eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Master irreverently is like part of the crowd that jeered and spit on him at his death. Is that the kind of “remembrance” you want to be part of? Examine your motives, test your heart, come to this meal in holy awe. If you give no thought (or worse, don’t care) about the broken body of the Master when you eat and drink, you’re running the risk of serious consequences." (1 Corinthians 11:27-29, The Message)

We must be authentic persons, too. Self-deception grows when we wear masks, pretending to be more than we are, or try to earn the approval of others with choices that are not supported by our convictions and commitments. Do you know yourself?  Are you aware of the strengths and gifts that God has given you? Are you equally aware of the weaknesses that create openings for temptation and potential failure? Or, are you cruising along in a blind spot, a danger to yourself and others? Jesus had only condemnation for those religious professionals of His day whose inner lives did not match their outward profession! He said, “You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote, ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.”  (Matthew 15:7-8, NLT)

Make this word from the Word your prayer and hear His promise.
"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law." (Psalm 119:18, NIV)

“I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness. “I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols. … Hear, you deaf; look, you blind, and see!" (Isaiah 42:6-8, 18, NIV)
___________________

See you next week.  I’ll be taking a break from writing.
THANK YOU for reading along each day.  

No comments: