Friday, April 01, 2016

Grave tending

On my lunch break I drove to the cemetery to plant the flowers that had been placed on Bev’s grave during Easter.  Sometime during the coming weekend I plan to return to seed the plot and to put mulch around the headstone. Taking care of her grave is a way to remember her, to honor the love we shared for 41 years. 
But, this I know:  my best life is not lived tending a grave. It's not what she would want. She is not there, she is in the Presence of the Lord. So, even while I tenderly remember her, I must gradually turn from the past to look ahead to what God has prepared for me in this new, though never sought, chapter of life!
There is a lesson for all of life in this. Paul speaks of the process of growth in Christ. A future focus gives us vision. Vision allows us to take hold of a God-blessed life! "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:12-14, NIV)
We can become paralyzed by the past; captive to regret and remorse, or perhaps even unwilling to let go of some great moment of victory. If we are content to tend graves, we will never really live!  That is why we look up and expectantly pray – “What’s next, Lord? Lead me!” And, He will. 
Are you holding onto a grudge, hating someone who wronged you?  Stop grave tending!  Forgive them, for God’s sake, and find freedom.
Are you trying to relive that glory moment, going back repeatedly to try to rediscover the happiness of some bygone era? Stop grave tending!  Celebrate the love, memorialize the victory; and apply yourself to what God has for you now so that you can be a joyful and productive Christian.
Have you concluded that all your best days are behind you? Stop grave tending! Each season has its own purpose. Perhaps you are not as physically strong as you once were, but are you wiser now? Perhaps you lost a great job, but there are still goals to achieve. 
Here is a word from the prophet, a promise first made to the broken people of God. Their land invaded, their Temple torn down, their sons carried into captivity they were without hope. But God spoke, telling them that He was able to restore.  Stop tending graves and claim the promise today.  
"The desert and parched land …will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy. The glory of Lebanon will be given to it, the splendor of Carmel and Sharon; they will see the glory of the LORD, the splendor of our God.  
Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.” 
Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped. 
Then will the lame leap like a deer, and the mute tongue shout for joy. 
Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert."
 (Isaiah 35:2-6, NIV)
____________
I Want The Joy
I want the joy of the Lord to come down.I want the joy of the Lord to fall now.I want the joy of the Lord in my life.I want the joy of the Lord to lift me.I want the joy of the Lord to change me.I want the joy of the Lord in my life.
 It's time I started dancingOver all these graves.It's time I gave You, oh my God,The highest praise.It's time to lift my voice,Oh, and beg for this blessing to fall!
Rita Springer © 2002 River Oaks Music Company (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: