Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Love Jesus or Jesus' Stuff?

Imagine a woman who says, “I love my husband” and thinks she means it. Then, suddenly he becomes gravely ill, his source of income dries up, his strength to care for their home lost. And she realizes that she loved the things of marriage more than the man she was married to!  
Do you love being a Christian more than you love Jesus? The question is not an easy one for some of us to answer because we have wrapped so many obligations, acts of service, even rituals around our Christianity.  If suddenly all your church activities were taken away from you, would you still love Jesus? If you could no longer take Communion, join others in Christian gatherings, do Bible studies, enjoy worship gatherings, or even carry on your work among the poor, kids, or wherever– would you still love Him?  I believe that many who think they love Jesus are really more attached to the things associated with Him.
When Jesus came into Peter’s life the interaction recorded in Luke’s Gospel is compelling.  Simon (Peter’s name before Jesus changed it) finished a long night of fishing with nothing to show for his efforts.  Along comes Jesus needing a way to speak to the crowds, so he asks to use Simon’s boat and preaches from it as it is anchored a few feet from the shoreline.  Simon listened as he cleaned his nets. After the sermon Jesus tells Simon to fish a little more! "Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”  It’s a grudging accommodation of Jesus’ request, but what happens next gets the fishermen’s attention!   
“When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.”  It is fascinating to me that Jesus used what Simon knew to shake his world.  He knew fish and that there were none to be had, until Jesus brought about a miraculous catch.  Suddenly the fisherman was not just around a famous rabbi, he was in the Presence of Mystery and it terrified him. What might this man reveal about him?  But, Jesus is not finished.  Mark tells us that He said Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” (Mark 1:17, NLT)  Luke’s narrative says, “Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will catch men.” So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him." (Luke 5:1-11, NIV)
He called Simon first to Himself! “Come, follow Me!”  The relationship preceded the work, the connection primary over function. Jesus wanted Peter to know Him before he tried to charge off to do work for Him. And He still desires the same of us. That is not to say that doing good works, having church, or serving others in His Name is unimportant.  Churches can serve a great purpose of providing focus, organization, teaching, stability, and a place to pool resources of money and spiritual gifts. But, sometimes all the ‘church’ happens without any real love for Jesus! The organization and her goals become more important than the One whose mission they are to carry on.
Another person in the New Testament learned the lesson of love from Jesus. Martha enjoyed having Jesus in her home and when He visited she was a great host, but her desire to make a great dinner for Him was causing her to miss out on really getting to know Him!  When she whined about her lazy sister sitting at Jesus’ feet soaking up His Presence, He did not commend her hard work! He invited her to choose to love first! “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”   (Luke 10:41-42)
So, let me ask you again – do you love being a Christian more than you love Christ?  
Have you responded to His call to love Him?  From a passion for Him is your calling empowered, sustained, and full of grace?
__________
Passion For Jesus
I'm calling out to You,There must be something more;Some deeper place to find,Some secret place to hide,Where I've not gone before.
 Where my soul is satisfiedAnd my sin is put to death,And I can hear Your voice,Your purpose is my choiceAs natural as a breath!
 The love I knew before- When You first touched my life-I need You to restore,I want You to revive.
 Would you place in my heartA passion for Jesus,A hunger that seizes,My passion for You?My one desire,My greatest possession,My only confession,My passion for You!
Brian Houston © 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: