Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Empty Calories Fattening Your Soul?

While doing a little research on improving my diet, I came upon the phrase ‘empty calories.’  Some things we eat are packed with calories from fat and/or sugars but provide little in the way nutrients.  Snacks like chips and soda are full of calories but provide almost no vitamins or minerals. We can eat way too much of such things without satisfying our hunger.  Whole grain cereals, vegetables, and nuts will fill us up and with far fewer calories. The myth of dieting is that a person must feel ‘hungry’ in order to achieve a healthy weight.  Dieting that depends on deprivation will almost always give short term results with no real lasting health benefit.  So, if I want to trim that extra 15 pounds from my waistline and keep it off, the better choice is to avoid ‘empty calories.’
How balanced is your spiritual diet? Are you trying to keep a whole soul while only eating spiritual ‘snack food?’ Let me explain. There are all kinds of ‘inspirational’ offerings available to us. Two minute devotional reading come through an app on our phone. Church services are trimmed to less than an hour with 10 minute devotional sermons that don’t require much thought. “Church Lite” invites us to Sunday services without asking us to commit to real acts of service in our daily lives.  Bible reading turns into a ‘verse for the day.’ Spiritual disciplines are stuff for Christians we view in the same way that I look at those who go to “Cross Fit” gyms everyday – only for the real fanatics!
Christians who go the distance, who know real joy and satisfaction, will train their heart and mind around a diet that includes regular times of prayer, reading and studying Scripture with other Christians, being part of a church (a body of Christians) that encourages growth and service, that wrestles with sin and temptation instead of excusing failure, that learns and practices the disciplines of meditation, worship, service, confession, simplicity, and selfless love for God and others.  (Highly recommended reading – The Celebration of Discipline – by Richard Foster)
Without even realizing it, we can slip into a kind of Christian life that is focused on ‘what God can do for me.’  Such a spirituality will devolve into vain religion, fed by empty calories of ritual without thought, inspiration without challenge, ‘followership’ instead of discipleship. The prayer most common in this kind of person is “Bless me, Lord. Give me, feed me, keep me, promise me. See ya tomorrow.”
Jesus spoke to those who were following Him around while He was here.  They had enjoyed a free meal and were looking for more.  “I tell you the truth, you are looking for me, not because you saw miraculous signs but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.” Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” (John 6:25-29, NIV)  His challenge was about true faith that compels the Believer to fully commit himself to the Lord of Life, regardless of cost. And, in that, He says that the empty calories of a superficial religion will be replaced by the Real Food of the Spirit! 
Some of those who heard Him speak that day were deeply offended! As He spoke of eating His flesh and drinking His blood they took His words at face value and the image was too much for them! Many found it too much and walked away. “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever.” He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum. On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?” (John 6:52-61, NIV) Is your soul fed by Jesus, or are you eating empty calories of mere inspiration?  (By the way, Christians understand that passage differently.) I do not believe He was literal, but was speaking of Himself in the same way as He talked of being the ‘Bread of life.’
Let us take to heart the word from Hebrews that urges us to a mature diet. "Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." (Hebrews 5:13-14, NIV)
God’s invitation still stands. Read it in this word from the Word. “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David." (Isaiah 55:1-3, NIV)
Lord, feed us with the Meat that will make us whole, healthy, beautiful Christians, for Christ’s sake. Amen.
____________
Break Thou The Bread Of Life
 Break Thou the bread of life, dear Lord to me,As Thou didst break the loaves beside the sea.Beyond the sacred page, I seek Thee, Lord.My spirit pants for Thee, O Living Word.
 Bless Thou the truth, dear Lord to me, to meAs Thou didst bless the bread by Galilee.Then shall bondage cease, all fetters fall,And I shall find my peace my all, in all.
 Thou art the bread of life, O Lord to me,Thy holy Word, the truth that saveth me.Give me to eat and live with Thee above,Teach me to love Thy truth for Thou art love.
© Words: Public Domain

No comments: