Friday, October 30, 2015

So, you're going to quit?


Remember that fable, used to encourage children, called “The Little Engine that Could”? A little steam engine is tasked with pulling a line of rail cars. A long climbing grade through mountains challenges him and he wonders if he is powerful enough to finish the job. As the train climbs, the little blue engine puffs every more slowly -  “I- think- I- can, I- think- I - can.”  It’s a great little tale that is stuck deep in my psyche!
Finishing a job, sticking with it ‘til it’s done, is something I value. God helping me, I will not only admire the principle, I will live it! It’s not that I have never considered quitting. When I am exhausted by life, I wonder where my endurance ends and my stubbornness begins.
But, I know this. Too many people rob themselves of success and joy by quitting too soon! Unfinished projects and broken promises are the monuments that quitters leave behind. We all find ourselves worn out, unable to see the finish line, and ready to quit at some point in life. Who has not said one this? “I cannot take even one more day at that place! I am so done!”  Are you there? Please stop and before you quit, take a break. A couple of days away from your problem can help you to regain hope. Somebody who will listen to you without judging you will definitely help you to think more clearly.
Are you considering calling it quits on your Christianity? No, you are not going to become an atheist, most likely. Most of those who give up on Jesus, just walk away quietly, the hope of eternal life overtaken by the urgent problems, the unanswered questions, or the seductions of pleasures to be found in the present. One example is found in Paul’s letter to Timothy, written at the end of his life, when he laments the loss of a partner in the work of Christ. “Demas,” he said, “has forsaken me, having loved this present world.”  I can imagine that being in Rome, going to visit Paul in the grim, dark, misery of his death row cell just got to Demas. Perhaps fear overtook him and he wondered if staying there would lead him to the same fate. Maybe he saw Paul and concluded, “if that is what God allows to happen to a man after 40 years of ministry, I done.”  He took off and disappeared, at a critical moment.
So, can we just stick with it with positive attitude like the little engine of the child’s fable? It helps to be positive, but that is not enough. Endurance is fueled by faith. Faith is fed by ongoing worship. The Word says "Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we’re in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he’s there, in the place of honor, right alongside God. When you find yourselves flagging in your faith, go over that story again, item by item, that long litany of hostility he plowed through. That will shoot adrenaline into your souls!" (Hebrews 12:2-3, The Message)  He suffered too. Remind yourself that He cried out in desperation on the Cross! Ask Him to be your Friend, Savior, and Hope.
The Bible tells us to ‘persevere.’ "You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. For in just a very little while, “He who is coming will come and will not delay. But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him.” But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved. Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (Hebrews 10:36-11:1, NIV)  It’s not stubbornness that keeps us going. It’s faith! Christians go beyond mere optimism which hopes for the best into the realm of faith in God. They take hold of His promise and speak to the apparently unyielding situations saying, "It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit.  … Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in (the) way; it will become a level plain.” (Zechariah 4:6-7, NLT)
The path of the godly is against the current, a calling for the courageous. Jesus told those who wanted to follow Him that "anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it?" (Luke 14:27-28, NIV)
When you’re making your estimates, remember to factor in your resources as well as expenses!
Serving the Lord faithfully will demand much of you; courage, sacrifice, surrender.
And God, the Holy Spirit, will be there with you, strengthening you for each new day.
Ready to call it quits?
Before you do, call a ‘time out.’  Go spend a day in reflection and prayer. Take a long walk alone. Ask for wisdom and insight that sees ALL of your options.
Here is a familiar word from the Word. "Dear brothers and sisters, you must be patient as you wait for the Lord’s return. Consider the farmers who eagerly look for the rains in the fall and in the spring. They patiently wait for the precious harvest to ripen. You, too, must be patient. And take courage, for the coming of the Lord is near. Don’t grumble about each other, my brothers and sisters, or God will judge you. For look! The great Judge is coming. He is standing at the door! For examples of patience in suffering, dear brothers and sisters, look at the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. We give great honor to those who endure under suffering. Job is an example of a man who endured patiently. From his experience we see how the Lord’s plan finally ended in good, for he is full of tenderness and mercy." (James 5:7-11, NLT)
________________
Lord I come, I confess,
Bowing here, I find my rest!
And without You, I fall apart,
You're the one that guides my heart.

Lord I need You, oh I need You.
Ev'ry hour I need You.
My one defense, my righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You!

Where sin runs deep, Your grace is more.
Where grace is found is where You are.
And where You are, Lord, I am free.
Holiness is Christ in me!

So teach my song to rise to You,
When temptation comes my way
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay,
And when I cannot stand, I'll fall on You.
Jesus, You're my hope and stay.

Lord I need You, oh, I need You!
Ev'ry hour I need You!
My one defense, my righteousness,
Oh God, how I need You.
Lord I Need You
Christy Nockels | Daniel Carson | Jesse Reeves | Kristian Stanfill | Matt Maher
© 2011 sixsteps Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Sweater Weather Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: